The Greatest Fighter Jet of All Time.

Which is the Best?

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'd still say the greatest fighter jet would be the F4 Phantom. Proven in two big air wars (and two smaller ones), used in multiple roles, used by the USN/USAF and many other countries, and served abley for nearly 4 decades.

In nod to the Lightning, I'd say it was "best in show" for the point defense role.

I'd like to think the mammoth discussion about the Lightning we all had in the Cold War Intercept thread swayed you to, finally, give credit where credit is due. The Lightning was more than just superior to the F-106 ...

The F-15 is unsurpassed in it's kill ratio..

The F-4's record is impressive, but there have been many lost in air-to-air combat, although its versatility is apparent.

The F-86 has to be in there - a second generation Jet fighter that was still being used as late as 1995 (I think Honduras was the last nation to use the F-86 in combat) that not only performed well in Korea (I'm talking a 4 to 1 kill ratio that was probably more realistic) served with dozens of other countries and even took on and bested Mig-21s!

Between the 3 of them they are definitely the largest distributor of used Mig parts...

The F15 never flew in a combat enviornment like NVN or the Yom Kipur war.

I think it would be more realistic to say best jet from 1945 through 1955, 1956 through 1975 and 1975 to the present.

I agree on how this should be broken down

On the F-4 and the F-15 though you can not say the F-4 is better than the F-15 because of its combat record. The F-15 is better than the F-4 handsdown, that is like saying the Spitfire is better than the F-86.

Users who are viewing this thread