The Guns We Own

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

just picked up a 1943 Mosin-Nagant,bore looks good up to the crown,trigger nice. Going to tear her apart to make sure all the cosmoline is out of the trigger and bolt assembly,ammo still fairly cheap. Will eventually strip the stock and refinish it..Looking forward to firing it. Will joing my Mauser as part of my ww2 collection,next an Enfield or Garand...

I had a little problem with the squirrels around the house awhile back dug a hole through the roof literally it looked like Godzilla hit it with a can opener.So I did the repair but decided it was time to update the air rifle situation to a break away setup with a higher velocty so I P/U this: Gamo Whisper .177 Caliber Air Rifle Combo - Dick's Sporting Goods mine was advertised @1300 fps w/PBA and 1100 fps with lead.But I started taking these little fellas out with 25yd shots standing freehand through the ribcage with a single expanding pellet much better than the old 22 pump.

Attachments

• roof 001 (900 x 675).jpg
    roof 001 (900 x 675).jpg
    190.2 KB · Views: 178
  • roof 002 (900 x 675).jpg
    roof 002 (900 x 675).jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 184
Yea, Ya gots to love the little critters. Here besides robbing the bird feeders they love to chew on the electrical companies junction boxes. Spring and fall the power flickers 3 -4 times per day just enough to zero all the digital clocks. I use my .22 WMR Henry w/ 9-power scope but only head shots count

somebody said ages ago in this thread that it seems every household in the US has a gun, whereas in the rest of the world, its rare for a house to have any gun.

Until 1996 i owned a Berreta 12 Gauge fully automatic shotgun. When i was a kid I owned a 22 semi auto of french origin. beautiful little gun, but I dont remember the make. Best shot i ever made was with that little gun, shot a crow at over 400 yards. it had a neat litle scope and a drop down magazine.

When i was twleve we went on the first of many hunting trips. it was the first time i used a 12 gauge, and this calibre became my favourite class of weapon. it was so versatile, could even go fishing, of sorts.

ive owned a double barrel, a double barrel with hammer actions, a replica muzzle loader with percussion caps, a single shot 12 Gauge , the 22 semi auto, a 22 stirling bolt action, a 243 lever action and scope, and finally the Beretta, which was without a doubt the sweetest shotgun ive ever owned.

i shot so many roos and other things I got bored with it, particulalry since for quite a few years my job required that i carry a gun.

I got over it and sold all my guns before 1996, except the Beretta. then new laws were introduced in Australia that banned all autometics and semi autos and assault style weappons. There was a government buy back, which i took advantage of.

I dont own a gun now, and to be hoinest, i dont miss them

I have 2 Italian 92FS,both Italian made,1 a SS compact and the other a fairly modified full size. Both great shooters.

I have 2 Italian 92FS,both Italian made,1 a SS compact and the other a fairly modified full size. Both great shooters.

My 96A1 is also Italian made.

Having fired both the Italian made 96A1 that I own and the US made M9 that I used in the military, I prefer the Italian made ones. The actions seem so much smoother. Of course the military M9s were used and abused.

Though 8 years out of date:
In December 2006, the Center for Naval Analyses released a report on U.S. small arms in combat. The CNA conducted surveys on 2,608 troops returning from combat in Iraq and Afghanistan over the past 12 months. Only troops who fired their weapons at enemy targets were allowed to participate.
58 percent of M9 users reported they were satisfied with the weapon, which was the lowest satisfaction rate in the survey.
48 percent of users were dissatisfied with the M9's ammunition.
76 percent were dissatisfied with accuracy
66 percent were dissatisfied with range
88 percent dissatisfied with rate of fire.
48 percent were dissatisfied with its ability to attach accessories.
26 percent reported a stoppage
45 percent reported their weapon's magazine did not fail to feed completely.
46 percent were not confident in the M9's reliability, defined as level of soldier confidence their weapon will fire without malfunction, mainly due to difficulty of maintenance.
The M9 had the lowest levels of soldier confidence in reliability and durability. 74 percent of M9 users offered recommendations for improvements. 26 percent of requests were for increased caliber or stopping power, with some specifically requesting returning to .45 ACP rounds. 20 percent of requests were for a new pistol. Other recommendations were for more durable magazines and better grips.

The italians have a long history of exceelent small arms manufacture. During WWII they were somewaht left behind because they failed to adopt modern mass production techniques, but Beretta in particular produced really high quality products. Its just that in wartime small arms have to be cheap and quickly produced. Berettas products are anything but that. From an individuals POV Beretta are one of the best, but from an army equipment POV, the costs of manufacture made them less than ideal.

With the m9, Ive heard of these difficulties, but never actually seen it for myself. Ive never actually handled the weapon to be honest. From a procurement standpoint, however, if rectifying its obvious faults makes it expensive, its probably not worth worrying about. Firepower from small arms probably accounts for less than 5% of overall enemy casualties, though maybe more in these small sized brush fire wars of late. If fixing the problem say doubled the unit cost for the army, there would be a reduction in the boots on the ground, and that IS a major problem.

Mike was that report out when they were cracking slides? Read they fixed that problem. One concern was the size of the grip,pretty large for alot of people. I'm sure I have fired no where near the amount of some M9s but I couldn't be happier with mine. I actually like my full size better than my Sig P226 Dark Elite...

Mike was that report out when they were cracking slides? Read they fixed that problem. One concern was the size of the grip,pretty large for alot of people. I'm sure I have fired no where near the amount of some M9s but I couldn't be happier with mine. I actually like my full size better than my Sig P226 Dark Elite...

You will be. The Italian made ones are great (as parsifal pointed out as well). The M9s, the military uses are mass produced in the US, and used and abused. We had lots of problems with ours.

Over the last 6mo or so I've finally managed to get a Ruger Mini-30. It shoots the 7.62 x 39 cartrige. Unfortunately most of this ammo is steel cased, Berdan primed ammo with steel-core bullets made in Russia like Wolf, Bear, WPA, etc. I have managed to find so pretty desent MFS ammo which is Eastern Bloc but zinc-plated steel and non-corrosive but still steel core bullets. Fortunately Fiocchi makes brass cased FMJ lead rounds. Ruger only sells 20rnd mags but Thermold makes 30rnd. Other than that I've installed a Pic rail and my first Holo-sight. It has 5-levels of brightness and 4 reticles to choose from. Unfortunately an Allen wrench is needed to adjust
Second is a real hoot to shoot, Hi-Point's 995 carbine. It comes in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. With the price of ammo these days I opted for the 9mm. Box of 100rnds is $25 The only downside is the in-handle mag which is only 10rnds. Pro-Mag makes an extended 15rnd but Hi-Point has dire warnings against using it saying it will damage the loading ramp. I've installed a compensator, forend grip, mil-grade 10mW green laser, and Holo sight. It's not pretty but it is fun

Attachments

• IMG_0925R.jpg
    IMG_0925R.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0926R.jpg
    IMG_0926R.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0927R.jpg
    IMG_0927R.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 132
  • IMG_0929R.jpg
    IMG_0929R.jpg
    68.3 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_0930R.jpg
    IMG_0930R.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 144
  • IMG_0931R.jpg
    IMG_0931R.jpg
    62.4 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_0932R.jpg
    IMG_0932R.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 137
  • IMG_0933R.jpg
    IMG_0933R.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 152
Second is a real hoot to shoot, Hi-Point's 995 carbine. It comes in 9mm, .40 S&W, and .45 ACP. With the price of ammo these days I opted for the 9mm. Box of 100rnds is $25 The only downside is the in-handle mag which is only 10rnds. Pro-Mag makes an extended 15rnd but Hi-Point has dire warnings against using it saying it will damage the loading ramp. I've installed a compensator, forend grip, mil-grade 10mW green laser, and Holo sight. It's not pretty but it is fun
I've been interested in acquiring a 9mm or other such pistol caliber plinking gun. How would you say the accuracy is? Do you have to use specific ammo (i.e. no FMJs, no P+ rounds)? Is there a brand besides the gun you own that you would suggest?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back