The Here, Now

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

And the Brits have had a lot of nuclear power stations for over 50 years - as far as I know without a significant issue.

Of interest a lot of coal contains minute quantities of radioactive components and according to scientists some 30 years back doing research into genetic problems in the area found the area downwind of the major coal powered power stations in Victoria Australia got more nuclear contamination in a short period (cant remember if a month or a year) than Three Mile Island released during its "disaster".

If TEPCO is the power company at Fukashima then I totally agree with Shinpachi. The history of lack of maintenance and poor design that caused the failure after the tsunami shows they cannot be trusted.

"To where the US-China confrontation goes and what is Japan's choice?"
by TV Tokyo on June 30, 2023.

Yes, it's "US vs China", not Japan vs China.
This is what Mr. Biden misunderstands Mr. Kishida because Kishida obeys Biden.
Kishida also fully obeys bureaucrats as well as public opinion because he does not want confrontations.

What this video is telling are -

1. What China does is China's business.
2. China has no plan of Taiwan invastion unless US or Taiwan or both may declare war or independence.
3. Xi is afraid of failure if he has declared war first.
4. Xi is thinking peaceful unification with Taiwan by 2049 as it is 100th anniversary of PRC.
5. His current interest is in economy and Xi is going toward the econmy without the US.
6. So, what Japanese can do is limited like not to be regarded as spy in China at best.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrGxHTazsuo

Taking this a point at a time
1. What China does is China's business
Not true. China is a world power both militarily, financially and politically. What it does impacts the rest of the world and by definition is the worlds business
2. China has no plan of Taiwan invastion unless US or Taiwan or both may declare war or independence.
Can you give any supporting evidence that points to this conclusion. It is preparing for just such an eventuality or why develop such forces
3. Xi is afraid of failure if he has declared war first.
Xi like any ruler is afraid of failure at any time as their life and family depend on it
4. Xi is thinking peaceful unification with Taiwan by 2049 as it is 100th anniversary of PRC
He may well be hoping for a peaceful unification, but all the signs are that if he doesn't get a peaceful unification he is preparing for the alternative
5. His current interest is in economy and Xi is going toward the econmy without the US.
This I agree with
6. So, what Japanese can do is limited like not to be regarded as spy in China at best.
This I one where I disagree with you. Japan is the sleeping giant in the area and is showing signs that it is waking up. There is a huge amount it can do in particular in the political and financial areas

Can you give any supporting evidence that points to this conclusion. It is preparing for just such an eventuality or why develop such forces
China was confirmed "Paper tiger" in the Sino-Japanese war in not only 1895 but 1937-1945 by the Japanese. China still is because they don't know how to use their modernized weapons effectivey with less exercise and experience.

Japan is the sleeping giant in the area and is showing signs that it is waking up. There is a huge amount it can do in particular in the political and financial areas
Sorry to say but giant or not is not your business. See PM Kishida, he is not going take any risk for President Biden's interest as he has witnessed the US retreat from Afganistan. That did not look cool to the Japanese people either.

China was confirmed "Paper tiger" in the Sino-Japanese war in not only 1895 but 1937-1945 by the Japanese. China still is because they don't know how to use their modernized weapons effectivey with less exercise and experience.

Sorry to say but giant or not is not your business. See PM Kishida, he is not going take any risk for President Biden's interest as he has witnessed the US retreat from Afganistan. That did not look cool to the Japanese people either.
Taking the two points in turn
You are correct when you say that China doesn't know how to operate the new modern weapon systems and they don't have any combat experience. However I do believe that they are aware of this and are working hard to improve their skills. I did see a video of them operating aircraft on the new carrier and I have to say that they were pretty slick. They were not up to USN standards but it looked pretty good to me.

Again I agree that PM Kishida will not take any risks for President Biden, neither would I.
That isn't anything again the Person but I believe Obama made a huge not acting when his line in the sand re chemical weapons wasn't supported, the retreat from Afghanistan was a mess and every President I can think of in recent history has made significant errors and others have paid the price. In the UK we don't have a better record so this isn't anti anyone, just a statement of fact.
What I do believe is that Japan is starting to recognise that they have to rely on themselves, and this isn't good news to China. To misuse a quote, At the strike of the midnight hour when the west sleeps, Japan is stirring to the risk.

:salute:
God Save The Queen (HM Queen's Movie)S.jpg

Chief Cabinet Secretary Matsuno "Welcomes" Governor Denny Tamaki's Meeting with Chinese Prime Minister Aiming for Close Communication between Japan and China.

Chief Cabinet Secretary Hirokazu Matsuno said at a press conference on the 6th that Okinawa Governor Denny Tamaki who is visiting Beijing as a member of the delegation to Japan's Association for the Promotion of International Trade (JAPIT. Chairman: Yohei Kono, former Speaker of the House of Representatives) met with Chinese Premier Li Qiang. He said he welcomed the meeting.

Under the government's policy of building a constructive and stable relationship with China, he said "We would like to continue to communicate closely at all levels."

On the 5th, the governor requested relaxation of the visa acquisition procedures required to visit China and the resumption of direct flights between China and Okinawa. Prime Minister Lee showed a positive attitude saying "I will give instructions to relevant departments so that difficult issues can be resolved."

How do you think we are able to buy pay our elected officials?
I think you know this proverb "Clear water does not breed fish" well.

A few months ago, I helped an Indonesian family in the street as they were in trouble not finding out their hotel.
We found it but it was expired due to some mistakes. I found another hotel for them nearby for a reasonable price.
After I came back to my home, I found a 10K yen bill ($100) in my shopping bag.
Water was clear but I thought I had found an Indonesian wisdom.

Kim is calling back Kishida in Lithuania.

Prime Minister Kishida visits Lithuania and Belgium from the 11th to attend NATO meetings, etc.
Prime Minister Fumio Kishida will visit Lithuania and Belgium from the 11th to the 14th to attend the North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) summit and the Japan-European Union (EU) summit.

BREAKING NEWS: North Korea "ballistic missile" estimated to fall outside Japan's exclusive economic zone around 11:13 am on the 12th.
According to the Ministry of Defense, the ballistic missile launched from North Korea around 10:00 a.m. is still in flight and is estimated to fall on the Sea of Japan outside Japan's exclusive economic zone around 11:13 a.m.

Though this is not a rare news for decades -

"Taiwanese oceanographic research vessel surveys to violate Japan's EEZ off the coast of Senkaku with "wires" underwater

It was confirmed yesterday that a Taiwanese marine research vessel was extending a wire-like object into the sea inside Japan's EEZ (=Exclusive Economic Zone) off the coast of the Senkaku Islands in Okinawa Prefecture.

According to the 11th Regional Coast Guard Headquarters, before 9:00 on July 12th, inside Japan's EEZ about 183 kilometers north from Taisho Island of the Senkaku Islands, Taiwanese oceanographic research vessel "Shinkaiken No. 1" was confirmed extending an object like a wire from the stern into the sea.

A Japan Coast Guard vessel requested the Taiwanese research vessel to stop research activities without Japan's consent by radio but there was no response from the Taiwanese vessel.

It was the first time since June 15th that the Taiwanese marine research vessel had been confirmed to be active in Japan's EEZ."

AA1dLmka.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back