The Joys of Humbrol !

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I wish MM was still available in SA-by far the best enamels I've used!

Vallejo paints are also available from a number of Ebay stores. One seller (Drum Flag, I think it is) offers pre-picked sets, although these are mainly intended for figures and armour, as well as various deals on a set number of bottles. A bit awkward to make the numbers up on those, but if you wanted all the colours for a certain build, you could do it that way. I haven't bought from him personally, but the feedback rating is very good, which is normally a good sign.

As for Humbrol, I have loads of it, but have had very mixed results. I have yet to settle on a paint brand. I find Xtracrylics too thick and too glossy, even after thinning. Tamiya acrylics are good, but a little too thin for my taste. Citadel acrylics are very good, but like all GW products, very expensive. I have used MM, but only a few times and in very small quantities. The experience was good though. Revell acrylics are also worth a go, again thick but thin down better than XA, IMHO. I'm mainly trying to get away from enamel of all kinds, I don't like long drying times and the clean up is a right pain - council pop being much cheaper than enamel thinners! :lol:

Problem is BT, I'm not keen on acrylics (although Vallejo are excellent), as they don't have the versatility of enamels, and certainly can't be manipulated as well with a paint brush, which I still use about 40% of the time. The other problem is, using on-line/mail order, you can't get a single tin/bottle, and you can't get it quickly (ie, same day) if needed in a hurry.

I'm in the process of converting all my paints to MM Acrylics and the few tins of Humbrol I have used were not good at all.

I like the way most of the MM Acrylics lay down, but some are bit watery, such as aluminum.

My .02

Hi Terry. ;)

I'm using Humbrol as well, but I haven't noticed the colour difference when stirring the paint - maybe because I haven't looked so closely after stirring my paints.
I did notice the same problem as you've got, though, with the paint going lumpy quite fast after using it, even though I make sure to close the tins securely after use. It's very irritating, and it does take forever to stir the paint and remove the lumps in the stirring process. *pouts*
I'm interested in trying out the Model Master enamels, and particularly now that I've gotten hold of that 1748 Itaeri Me-262; haven't you got the possibility to buy Model Master locally? Prolly a stupid question since you've prolly have done that if you had the opportunity...
I know the feeling of needing the paint here and now, I'm no good at shopping paint online either. ;)
I hope you find a solution. *hug*

Cheers,

Maria.

Maria ,

If you want to try to use these ModelMaster or Testors ( these are the same paints ) and you aren't good at shopping paint online , you can find the nearest LHS via Internet. There should be an information about a fax or ( what is better ) a phone number to them . Just call and talk to these people. I'm sure they can receive your order in that way too.

Plus, if you insist on using Humbrol, once you are done, if you will take a small piece of plastic wrap like Glad saran wrap. Lay it over the can and push it down to the surface of the remaining paint, then put the lid on the can and sealing it down and trim the excess wrap off the edges. We have to do this at the shop with some of our primers. It seals most of the air out of the can and hopefully it will keep it from clumping up.

Last edited:
Maria, you'll love model Master enamels once you start using them. It's the only brand I use unless I'm doing MNF.

Nxthanos vallejo not expensive at all if it is expensive to transport and benefits of the stores, I live at 45 inutes drive from the factory vallejo, I buy directly from them and their price is more than good, I get to 1.90 € going a $ 2.43

with Humbrol I mean that I thicken at the bottom and then I can hardly put any homogeneous again, not spending a lot of specific colors detailing some brush 110, 112, 113, 23, 1, 26, 29, and little more, I almost anything with vallejo or Gunze both h and c

Users who are viewing this thread

Back