The Most Accurate Author/Researcher

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

how about Cornelius Ryan? or for world war one Tim Cook? or George Blackburn's Guns series?

If you want to understand U.S. foreign policy during WWI this is the place to start. Most / all of the historical documents should be available in various national archives but this 4 volume set has them nicely arranged in chronological order along with brief explanations containing background information.

Luftwaffe authors only in my list.

Not in any order, they are all very good:

Jochen Prien
Eric Mombeek
Paul Stipdonk
Michael Mayer
Christopher Shores
Christer Bergstrom
Barry Rosch
KA Merrick
John Vasco
Sinisa Sestanovic
David Wadman
Peter Petrick
Denes Bernad
Theo Boiten
Robert Forsyth
Nick Beale
Jean-Louis Roba
J. Richard Smith
Eddie Creek
Peter Rodieke
Douglas Stankey
Harry L de Zeng IV
Gerhard Stemmer
Walter Weiss
Andrew Arty
Morton Jessen
Don Caldwell
Shigeru Nohara
Chris Goss
Jean-Yves Lorant
Richard Goyat
Eric Larger
Tomas Poruba
John Manrho
Stephn Ramsom
Fredrik Geust (Finnish AF)
Kari Stenman
Kalevi Keskinen
Sven Carlson
Dan O'Connell
Peter Cornwell
Frederico D'Amico
Peter C Smith

Any of these guys you can give the keys of your house, wallet, daughter (not sure on this one) and you'd be safe.

Looking forward to add Larry Hickey and the EoE team to this list!

'Greats' from the 1960, 70 and 80's whose work has now been largely superceded:
Karl Ries
Werner Held
Karl Kossler
Per Cohauz
Hans Ring
Werner Girbig
Norman Franks
Manfred Griehl
H J Nowarra

Last edited:
For unit histories, Lawrence J. Hickey has set the gold standard for what an author should do. His sources are from the archived unit reports and from the actual participants. Double checked for accuracy, and the quality of his efforts are plainly seen by anyone who has one of the three books he has published.

For technical I like Rene J. Francillon, Robert Mikesh and Dan Hagedorn. I have worked on many of the aircraft they write about and have yet to find an error in their work.
Books edited by Leslie E Neville are also on the top of my list of accurate resources tho some WWII stuff must contain deliberately inaccurate information

Em nau

Mi Tasol

Just finished "Battleground Prussia" by Pritt Buttar. Fantastic, detailed account of the final months of the war with lots of personal accounts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back