The Phone Scam You Don't Know About.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
Wanted to know if anybody else has this problem.

Came home today to my pre-wife in an uproar. She was paying bills and noticed that for the last 3 months we've been paying something that we didn't know about. Its $16.00 a month under the heading "Other Providers". That was strange because we've been on a plan that covers everything we use, phone and internet with no extras as one bill or one cost. This was new.

So we call the phone company (love how this stuff happens on the weekends.). They say they can't tell us what it is because the federal government does not allow disclosure of third party services by the phone company. Great. But they direct us to a website.

Here it is.

Welcome to ILD Telecommunications

Well, what an eye opener! Apparently, ILD and others can attach somehow to your bill and the phone company can't do anything about it. Read the consumer complaints. Wonderful stuff.

Anyhow, she finally tracked it to this company....

netWatchHome

that has been charging us for the past 3 months for internet hook-up even though we never requested it and use another service! Great scam!!

Has anybody else been fleeced like this and what did you do about it? Check your phone bills VERY carefully!!

The war has begun.

HAHAHA!! and they give you everything you need for the internet that is already built into Windows and Explorer,great company.Good luck in getting your money back might of been something that got clicked while on the net by accident.Kevin

I have cable broadband so I dont worry.

But .... Sounds like you need to fire off a letter to both the FCC, PUC of your state, and your local law enforcement claiming you've been subjected to consumer fraud.

So we call the phone company. They say they can't tell us what it is because the federal government does not allow disclosure of third party services by the phone company. Great. But they direct us to a website.

The war has begun.

What kind of B.S. is that? If YOU {the phone company} send me a bill then you better be able to tell me what the f**k it's for!

They should not be able to add stuff to your phone bill without your OK.

I'm still working it out. Appatently its something like this:

Scam Company A gets you signed up or gets your info somehow and creates an account and bills you for whatever they're selling - in this case as an Internet service provider.

Scam Co. A then contracts with Scam Co. B as a contractor to collect its bills. Scam Co. B, working as the bill collector, then contracts with Scam Co. C (the acutal phone company - this case Verizon) to bill the customer under "Other Provider". But here is the kicker. Apparently, federal law does not alow Scam Co. C to disclose who the other companies are! If you read through those complaints there is a lady who is being billed for an answering service that automatically takes her calls that she never signed up for. The best part is she doesn't have a password to get her messages!

Never fear, if this doesn't get straightened out, I have a few friends in high places. Dog- catching does have its perks! :)

But think about it. $16.00 on my bill alone and it took 3 months for me to catch. If they get a ratio of 50% getting a clue and the others don't, that adds up $$$$

I agree but where? The Phone Company just shrugs its shoulders and says "its a third party" whereas the cretin that started it probably has 10 workers with phones and a computer in a tiny warehouse somewhere with a bogus mailing address. This waiting until Monday to get answers is killing me!

I've had the same thing happen with long distance carriers. Phone company claims they can't stop long distance carriers being switched. I DON'T HAVE LONG DISTANCE GODDAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

So dummy consumer (me) asks my phone company to put a note in my file that says NEVER ALLOW FOR CHANGES UNLESS CONTACTED FIRST.

No can do says phone company. Its Qwest by the way. They suck. But what are you going to do. Its THE ONLY phone company monopoly in town.

It used to be where the phone companies banks tried to give better service to attract your business. Seems like a couple of years ago they all go together and realized that if they all had crappy crooked service then consumers can't switch because the new company is as bad as the old one.

I had Cingular keep billing me for 3 months after I cancelled the account.

I have the same problem with the banks, I was at an ATM that said "balance unavailable", so when I took out $100 bucks I only had $98.55 available. It then gave me a $30 overdraft.

I called them up and asked how you can overdraft a friggin ATM withdrawl - they said it's for my "convenience"

I had to call up an INSIST that I DO NOT WANT YOUR OVERDRAFT PROTECTION! {I never write checks on that account}

3 months later - the "courtesty" $200 overdraft protection is back on the account.

You just can't win - It's like Whack-a-mole

You just can't win - It's like Whack-a-mole

That WAS funny! :):):)

But understand its not the phone company. They probably really don't know what it is because of regulations.

Its some third rate company that provides (they say) some type of service that is billed through the phone company. Like an answering service or third-rate internet service. Thats what kills me. The phone company can't remove the bill because its not their bill, its another company and until I can get ahold of them, $16 out my pocket every month.

NJACO, its time for you to file a criminal complaint with your state consumer affairs dept and use that to have your local telco freeze the charges.

Untill you do that, theres nothing we can do to help you or give you other advice.

If that doesnt work, terminate your phone, and get a new number.

I definately will Sys. but I need to investigate alittle further. Found this on Sat and everything is closed until tommorrow. I have no problem going to the government or law enforcement or even the papers about this.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back