The REAL ToughOmbre - Photos from the ETO, '44 to '45

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Re. the panzer:
It's a greater possibility that Ausf. H is photographed, since the Gs were used in Eastern front mostly, and just a fraction in N. Africa.
The -H was main production variant, produced from winter 1942/43 towards the end of 1944.

Thanks again guys. And thanks Erich and tomo pauk for the clarification and additional info on the tank.

Got a few more photos to share. The top two photos were taken in July, 1945 and my Dad's description on the back says "Hitler's Home - Berchtesgaden - July 45". He always said he hung out for a while in the "Eagle's Nest", too bad he's not in the picture.

The first photo looks eerily similiar to the third photo that I found on a 13th Armored Division website and labeled as "HitlerTeaGarden". 8)

And the last one looks like he was happy to have a hot meal. :)

TO

Attachments

• Berchtesgaden.jpg
    Berchtesgaden.jpg
    37.2 KB · Views: 73
  • Berchtesgaden_2.jpg
    Berchtesgaden_2.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 68
  • HitlerTeaGarden_resize.jpg
    HitlerTeaGarden_resize.jpg
    24.1 KB · Views: 75
  • mess_resize.jpg
    mess_resize.jpg
    54.6 KB · Views: 70
Re. the panzer:
It's a greater possibility that Ausf. H is photographed, since the Gs were used in Eastern front mostly, and just a fraction in N. Africa.
The -H was main production variant, produced from winter 1942/43 towards the end of 1944.

:thumbup:

The G variant did not wear Schürzen as far as I am aware and the J besides being fitted with the same looking almost worthless side armor was also given anti-magnetic screening for the turret and side of the Panzer as a replacement. even the muzzle brake went through some more streamlined changes

the H was standard equipment from 1943 on the Ost front clear into 1945 in the West

good pics TO !

Thanks Erich!

It's very important to me to learn EVERYTHING that I can about my father's service, pics etc. Good information that will be passed along to each succeeding generation of my family.

TO

He was actually in the Eagle's Nest? That is awesome! What did he say about it and the rest of Berchtesgaden?

He was actually in the Eagle's Nest? That is awesome! What did he say about it and the rest of Berchtesgaden?

Yes he was! Kind of low key about it, but thought it was kinda neat and spooky to walk through Hitler's lair (even though I'm not sure how much the place was ever used by Hitler). He did say it was anti-climatic and relaxing after 11 months of combat in Europe, including D-Day and the Ardennes Offensive.

Also remember him saying that Berchtesgarden (and other places in Europe), despite the backdrop of WW II, were some of the most beautiful places he had ever seen.

TO

the buildings on the hump really got creamed at wars almost end, the private homes or should say run by Hitlers thugs were blown apart and then after war demolished. so TO your dad and unit visited the place after the US bombing obviously. Raid was on April 25, 1945 every bldg on the Obersalzberg was damaged to some state. After the raid and the Berghof was smacked the SS burned it into a derilict but it of course due to the photos be walked through

the buildings on the hump really got creamed at wars almost end, the private homes or should say run by Hitlers thugs were blown apart and then after war demolished. so TO your dad and unit visited the place after the US bombing obviously. Raid was on April 25, 1945 every bldg on the Obersalzberg was damaged to some state. After the raid and the Berghof was smacked the SS burned it into a derilict but it of course due to the photos be walked through

Don't think he was talking about the buildings, homes, etc. The country, landscape, scenery is what was impressive to him. Most of what was man made was not pretty to look at, as you accuately state. And as can be seen in the limited view, the Eagle's Nest looked like a grafitti scarred shell of what it was.

TO

the lower valley to the Königsee and Berchtsgaden was not touched at all TO, was just talking about the upper platform which stood out as the focal pt of the Nazi realm

Users who are viewing this thread

Back