The REAL ToughOmbre - Photos from the ETO, '44 to '45

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ToughOmbre

Senior Master Sergeant
Mar 18, 2007
Jersey Shore, USA
Just found these photos of my Dad from his days in the ETO. He came back from Europe in 1945 with hundreds of pics, but unfortunately they disappeared after he passed away in 1985.

He was a rifleman in the 358th Infantry regiment, 90th Infantry Division (Tough 'Ombres). That's where I got my forum name. :)

The top row photos, sleeping with his M1, and checking out a captured German MG (MG 42?) are labeled on the back as Normandy, June 1944.

The picture with the tank (not sure the type), with Dad on the right, not sure where that was taken.

Dad on the motorcycle pic is labeled Metz, October 1944.

Not sure of where the picture of him sitting on the shell containers (?) was taken.

Next row is Paris, August 1945

Last pic is in Germany during the occupation (Dad on right).

TO

Attachments

• dad_foxhole_resize.jpg
    dad_foxhole_resize.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 214
  • German MG_Normandy_resize.jpg
    German MG_Normandy_resize.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 201
  • German Tank_resize.jpg
    German Tank_resize.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 210
  • dad_motorcycle_resize.jpg
    dad_motorcycle_resize.jpg
    41.3 KB · Views: 211
  • relaxing_resize.jpg
    relaxing_resize.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 222
  • walking down the street.jpg
    walking down the street.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 210
  • Paris_1945_resize.jpg
    Paris_1945_resize.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 207
  • dad_resize.jpg
    dad_resize.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 213
I think its a PzKpfw IV with a 75 longbarrel.

Great pics, TO!!!

Looking at some books I have, it could be a Pz Kpfw III but I haven't found any with that barrel. Thats why I think its a Mk IV.

Last edited:
The size put me off alittle - check both pics. But that gun I can only find on a Mk IV so......

In fact I think its a Pz. Kpfw IV Ausf. G with long barrel 75mm gun.

Last edited:
The size put me off alittle - check both pics. But that gun I can only find on a Mk IV so......

In fact I think its a Pz. Kpfw IV Ausf. G with long barrel 75mm gun.

You're right Chris. Just remembered that I have a reference book on German tanks, looked it up, and I'm 99% sure it's as you say, a Pz. Kpfw IV Ausf. G with long barrel 75mm gun.

TO

it's an Ausf H or J with Schürzen around the turret and on the sides of the body

The armor plating?

And I think the IV was both long and short barreled.

"
Armament
As the Panzer IV was intended to fill an anti-infantry combat role, early models were fitted with a low-velocity 75 mm KwK 37 L/24 gun, firing high-explosive shells. After the Germans encountered the Soviet T-34, the Panzer IV F2 and G were armed with the high-velocity 75 mm KwK 40 L/43 anti-tank gun. Later IV G models, and all subsequent Panzer IVs, were armed with the longer 75 mm KwK 40 L/48 anti-tank gun.

All models of the Panzer IV had a 7.92 mm coaxial machine gun mounted in the turret, and all except the IV B and IV C had a second 7.92 mm gun in the hull."

From http://www.battle-fleet.com/pw/his/panzer4_german_medium_armor.htm

Last edited:
Thanks Erich, I wasn't sure. Couldn't see too much on the front but the cupola I was trying to place.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back