The remains of 21 German soldiers discovered untouched in France (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Seems to be a bitter sweet find. Everyone involved in the find is excited and hopeful but the soldiers homeland doesn't seem to want them back or could care less. I may have misinterpreted what I read but that's what I got from it. It seems sad. Thank you for posting Syscom.

Amazing find, truly a time capsule.
I hope the descendants of those German soldiers come forward and reclaim their bodies to give them a burial worthy of their immense sacrifice.
May their souls rest in peace.

Great find mate, thanks for posting!

I also hope the relatives come forward, mean souls if not, whatever their feelings towards the war itself.

Also a shame it will be completely built over (if I understood right), seems to be human nature to bury the past as quickly as possible.

"... but the soldiers homeland doesn't seem to want them back or could care less. I may have misinterpreted what I read but that's what I got from it. It seems sad."

It is sad. But it also speaks to how German society as a whole has been re-shaped by losing two world wars. Two - three generations of German manhood. Britain and France have been traumatized the same way (loss of generations) but having emerged on the winning side - patriotism has been allowed, thus keeping history alive. (Just think History TV channels :)).

MM

Last edited:
Wow, glad they were found.

I hope that in the end they are repatriated or at least recognized in their home land. They deserve it. They were soldiers who were fighting for their country.

"... never realized that there was so much remaining from WWI, thank you..."

Mike, much of that war was fought underground .... mining. Often carved into chalk. The Germans had entire hospital surgeries carved into chalk IIRC.

Effort at that scale just doesn't disappear when usage stops. They'll be making discoveries for decades.

MM

Last edited:
Michael, so very correct, just never thought of it in those terms as europe is so populated. The Chu-Chi complex in Vietnam is a big tourist stop now-a-days so it make a lot of sense

The French still care enough to thoughtfully exhume WW1 remains and share it with the world without making any political points.
I wonder how many more such finds are waiting in the WW1 Western Front?
Cheers
John

A family that loses males in two successive generations may not even exist as a family name any more. That would have to make it pretty difficult to try to trace some of these men to modern decendants.

Michael, that is very cool, the ghosts of times long past. There is an old government TNT and ammunition manufacturing plant just outside Joliet dating from WWII. The shells were stored in specially constructed bunkers outside the plant. The area has been returned to the state and is now a prairie restoration area. About twice a year I volunteer to work there and we take plants in and out the old bunkers. the interior walls contain the same types of graffiti. Names, dates, units, even some "Kilroy was here" drawings.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back