The target of my autumn walk: "California Rocket" (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

v2

Captain
Nov 9, 2005
Cracow
On December 18, 1944, an American "Liberator"-bomber ("California Rocket") crashed there but the crew was saved thanks to the swift and well organized action of the AK (Home Army) unit and local farmers. They were hidden for the rest of the war. During WW II, the Germans gave the area the name "Partizan Republic" due to the strong resistance activity...

more info: The Memorial In Autumn Colours, a photo from Malopolskie, East | TrekEarth

Attachments

• och1.JPG
    och1.JPG
    164.6 KB · Views: 175
  • och2.JPG
    och2.JPG
    128.4 KB · Views: 184
  • och3.JPG
    och3.JPG
    189.1 KB · Views: 177
  • och4.JPG
    och4.JPG
    91.5 KB · Views: 174
  • och5.JPG
    och5.JPG
    107.3 KB · Views: 212
  • och6.JPG
    och6.JPG
    109.8 KB · Views: 170
  • och7.JPG
    och7.JPG
    120.4 KB · Views: 171
  • och8.JPG
    och8.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 177
  • och9.JPG
    och9.JPG
    177.7 KB · Views: 183
  • och10.JPG
    och10.JPG
    126 KB · Views: 185
  • och11.JPG
    och11.JPG
    123 KB · Views: 185
Walking with some friends in the Forest of Bowland Fells in Lancashire 2 years ago we got slightly off the indistinct path in poor weather and came across a section of bare ground either side of a damaged dry stone wall that had obviously been burnt some time ago. The burnt ground was scattered with corroded aluminium and glass with a few rusty steel pipes. We were wondering why on earth someone would bring rubbish so far off the beaten track to burn it and cursing people who befoul the open countryside with there litter till my friend suddenly realised that what we were standing on was a crash site. I took some photos which unfortunately didnt come out too well because of the weather and carried on our walk a little bit quieter and a lot more thoughtfull. A bit of research and I found that it was a Liberator that had crashed with 4 crew members killed
Consolidated B-24J 42-100322

Unfortunately Britains uplands are covered with air crash sites many still unmarked. Mountains, Hills, Atlantic weather fronts, primitive navigation systems and inexperienced or tired crews dont mix.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back