The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I hadn't realised it was so long since I posted anything in this thread.

BUT !

All being well, I should be 'on tour' again towards the end of next week - not quite sure yet when I can get away, as I need to have a new alternator fitted to the 'Tin Tent' - got the parts, and hopefully the work will be done by Wednesday ; it's a Public Holiday here this weekend and Monday, so my tame spanner monkeys are not working.
My original, fairly vague idea was to travel to Norfolk, basing myself on the campsite at Scole (seen in earlier posts in this thread), and visit some WW2 airfields, two of which have museums in restored Control Towers. However, the times of opening (first Sunday of the month for one, and every Sunday and Wednesday for the other) means that some planning is needed, in order to visit the various sites at the right times, especially as I'd like to meet up with an old friend at another museum, if possible, and hope he remembers me - I was fit and healthy when we last met !
Consequently, it'll probably be a good idea to move around a bit more, and head into Suffolk too, with a campsite right on the edge of the former Leiston airfield, where I'll probably stay for a couple of days, before heading back to Scole, possibly having visited some other sites of interest too, including, perhaps Halesworth and Framlingham (the latter where my old friend works as a volunteer).
So far, the sites I'd like to visit (some of which are now mainly farmland) include Thorpe Abbotts, Eye, Seething, Old Buckenham, Fersfield, Lesiton, possibly Halesworth and Framlingham, maybe a couple of others, and, if I can be bothered negotiating the Norwich ring road, the Norwich Aviation Museum, at the northern edge of what used to be Horsham St. Faith airfield, now Norwich International Airport. I might also re-visit the Norfolk and Suffolk Aviation Museum at Flixton (Bungay), and depending on my return journey, call in to see the boys at Bottisham.
As the weather is looking good (at last !) in the region, there's a very good chance I may stay longer than the originally intended four or five days, probably being away for seven or eight days, or more, as there's no rush, and nothing important to prevent me 'tooling around' for awhile, so, at this stage, plans are still very fluid.
I'll be 'arming' myself with all the relevant books and maps, and, of course, my cameras, so if all goes at least partly to plan, I hope to get some reasonable photos, and some narrative to accompany them.
I'll also have my lap-top with me, so I can 'report back', given I have a good connection, but any photos will have to wait until I return home, apart from, perhaps, the odd 'up-date' shot from my compact camera.

So, with a bit of luck, it should sound something like "We've got a full tank of gas, half a packet of cigarettes, and we're wearing sunglasses - hit it !" (with apologies to 'The Blues Brothers' movie).

I'll post something here when I'm ready to roll .................... meanwhile, a couple of pics from a few days after this year's 'Flying Legends', when I was still on the campsite, relaxing..

TT 1.jpg
FL 358.jpg

Thanks chaps - I'll update when plans are finalised.
There are many former airfields with at least a small museum, but of course, being run by volunteers, they are normally only open on a Sunday, some just once a month and, even though maybe only 20 or 30 miles apart, this is East Anglia, and getting around some of the narrower roads and lanes can take some time. Consequently, allowing for time spent at one museum, it may not be possible to visit another, on the same day, whilst it's still open !
But we'll see ............................

Just making the final preparations, before setting off around mid-morning tomorrow.
Got the van back yesterday, with the new alternator fitted, fluids serviced and systems checked over, so just got to load up and set off on the first stage, with a 4.5 hour drive down to Scole, in south Norfolk, hopefully calling in to see the chaps at Bottisham on the way, time and traffic permitting
The first visits will be to airfield sites and control tower museums in Norfolk, then, later next week, head on into deepest Suffolk, to visit more fields and museums, the intention being to base myself on a campsite actually on the former airfield tech site at Leiston, just a couple of miles inland from the coast.
The list of intended locations is shown below, with those marked (*) being if time allows, and those shown as (**) depending on current access and what remains, as some former airfields have very little remaining, and / or are now industrial estates.
The last two are still active as USAF bases, and have well located viewing areas, with the campsite at Mildenhall having a clear view to the runway threshold and airfield, just 100 meters from the campsite fence !

Bottisham (*)
Eye (**)
Seething
Tibenham (**)
Knetishall (**)
Thorpe Abbotts
Leiston
Framlingham (Parham)
Halesworth (*)
Lakenheath
Mildenhall

Apart from using 'Google Earth' on my lap-top, I'll also be taking the maps and references shown below.
I'll try to provide up-dates whilst I'm away, but the main 'report', and photos, will have to wait until I get back, probably around 11th September.

Norfolk Suffolk tour 002.JPG

Thanks chaps.
Setting off in about two hours from now, but just seen the traffic reports, and there are a couple of delays expected en-route, so might not get to Bottisham on the way.
No Andy, no spider bite this time, but my right eye is swollen, with a stie or similar infection. It seems to be healing, and apart from being uncomfortable and rather unsightly, it isn't affecting my vision, so should be fine.
Karl, there's only 9 bottles - I had a couple when i stayed on after Legends !!!

Very very nice Terry and NOT exactly TIN nor a TENT for that matter. My "Tin Tent" is bigger, 11.6m, but there are two of us and the 380L tank is fun to fill even here in the states and at about 3 -3.5km per Liter expensive to move down the road and running the generator drops it even further.
Queen W 136(R).jpg

Thanks chaps.
Setting off in about two hours from now, but just seen the traffic reports, and there are a couple of delays expected en-route, so might not get to Bottisham on the way.
No Andy, no spider bite this time, but my right eye is swollen, with a stie or similar infection. It seems to be healing, and apart from being uncomfortable and rather unsightly, it isn't affecting my vision, so should be fine.
Karl, there's only 9 bottles - I had a couple when i stayed on after Legends !!!
deffo have to stock up then :lol:

Got here - after just short of 7 ****ing hours driving !
The main A14 road was closed between five junctions, resulting in a long, very slow detour, stop start in tail-back traffic.
So stiff I could only just get out of the cab !!!
Should be fine after a couple of scoops and a good night's kip, then off to Seething tomorrow. Didn't get to Bottisham - it was well after 18.00 hrs by the time I was even close !

Thanks Hugh.
Going to miss out on Seething today - still too stiff, with swollen ankles from all the clutch work yesterday !
Will try to get there during the week, although the museum itself won't be open (shame), but at least two more control tower museums to visit, plus some airfields.
Net connection is poor here, so I'll update when possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back