The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I'm back home now, and not looking forward to incessant rain for at least the next two weeks, after such nice weather 200+ miles south and east, in Norfolk.
Last couple of pics from this visit, but I'm hoping that the Covid situation will have eased enough to allow more exploring, and museum and sites of interest visits next spring and summer, when I hope to get a lot more interesting pics.

Pic 1. The sad tale of floppsy bunny. This poor rabbit was spotted outside my van last week, and I thought it strange that it should choose a place in the open, on pebbles, in which to sleep. It was alive, and moving at this point (note the erect ears), but less than fifteen minutes later it keeled over and died, a victim of Myxomatosis.
Pics 2 and 3. I spotted these "contrails" one day and, having the Nikon D3300 and 300mm lens handy, decided to have a bit of a test.
The first pic is the full frame, just re-sized for the forum, and with the lens at full 300mm ( equivalent to 450mm on a 35mm film SLR). I estimated the distance at around 6 to 8 miles, and the altitude at probably 40,000 feet, possibly higher.
The second image is a straight crop from the original, not enlarged, but I altered the contrast and brightness slightly.
Perhaps not a brilliant image, but not bad at that range.

Unfortunately, when there was military aerial activity, it was either screened by trees, or I couldn't grab the cameras quickly enough. One such was one evening last week, when a RAF C-130 Hercules went straight over the edge of the site, quite low, with the para doors open, presumably heading for the DZ on the military training area near Thetford (STANTA).
Anyway, unless I'm able to get out and about on day trips, that's all until the next installment of "The Travels", in spring next year.
Thanks for your interest to date.

Well, Travels from Tel's Tin Tent appear to be over, for this year at least.
Got a call earlier today, informing me that the site is flooded, and under three feet of water, along with the owner's house - they've had to move into temporary, rented accommodation, until things can be sorted, which will take some time of course.
I don't yet know the extent of the damage to the van, until such time as I can get down there and check it out, once Covid restrictions are lifted. But with three feet of water, that means it's about one foot deep inside the van, so I don't hold out any hope, and reckon it's lost for good.
Damned shame, as I was looking forward to getting down there at Easter, to set up for the summer, and commence my tours of the WW2 airfields and museums - b*gger !!!!

That's awful Terry but don't lose hope. My first car was in a flood up to the dashboard and I got it going again after buying it back form the insurance company. Mind you, I'd never do it again as the settled mud is the biggest issue and takes hours and hours to properly clean. I hope insurance will provide for a decent replacement. Damn.

I reckon the floor will be wrecked, and all the woodwork, insulation and soft furnishings Andy. Almost certain to be a write-off - and not insured for flood damage !
I was going to sort that for this season, even though, given it's higher position on the site, it should have been safe !
Going to review my options once I can visit the site and learn more.

Sited at own risk, I'm afraid. And he has enough problems with his house full of water, and living elsewhere because of it.
I'll just have to put it down to bad luck I guess.

Thanks.
Even if the 'van is salvageable, the site will not be open this year anyway, as there will be a lot of remedial work to do, to allow it to meet the standards and regulations, not to mention the fact that Malcolm and Wendy, the site owners, will have to attend to all the damage to their lovely house as a fist priority.

Thought about a song that could cover my situation, a verse "adapted" below.

"I've been a Wild Rover for many a year,
And I spent all my money on gadgets and gear.
But now I'm returning, the 'van lost to rain,
And I never will play the Wild Rover again !"

Of course, I will be out and about, when Covid restrictions allow, and hope to bring more photos and adventures to share, one way or the other.

There is no doubt, no doubt what so ever, you will tell us stories from your tin tent. In this one or the next. There will be stories and bloody good pictures.

Thanks very much for the kind words !
With a bit of luck, Karl and I should be going to Sywell on May 20th, to finally see, and photograph, our friend Max enjoying his flight in a "Buchon", with his friend Noel alongside in a Spitfire and, it's hoped, having a mock dog fight !
Just hoping that Covid restrictions are lifted enough to allow this to go ahead, as it's been "on hold" since last spring.

No nay never say that!

Thanks chaps.
Obviously it's a bit of a blow, but things will sort themselves out, one way or another. I'm probably kind of fortunate, as my 'van, although in great overall condition and well appointed, was not expensive, being 30 years old. Some of those which will be in the same wrecked situation are fairly new, with price tags in excess of £30,000, not including contents, and even with the relevant insurance cover, it'll be a severe blow to their owners.

Users who are viewing this thread