The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A short up-date, and a few pics.
The weather has been very hot (for the UK ), with clear skies, sunshine and temps around 31 to 33C, although, not forecast, it was a touch dull this morning, with a chance of light rain. However, it's now brightening, the sun is coming out, and it should be around 23 to 24 C today - a bit more comfortable, as there is zero wind.
I haven't done much travelling around yet, as it's been too uncomfortable to move, but I'm planning on getting out tomorrow, and Friday, and a couple of days next week, when the temperature is set to be around the 21 to 23C mark.

Pic 1. The first pic below was taken during my last visit, when Karl and I got to Lakenheath, and was a "snatched" shot, from some distance, of the f-15s taxing out for a double, four-ship take off (four came in from the right side, not visible here).
Pic 2.The beautiful tree shown here is dying, and has to come down. A real shame, but it'll mean more sunlight in the evenings, as this view is due west.
Pics 3 and 4. This was taken at dusk yesterday, and shows a Jodel that suddenly appeared over the trees opposite the 'van. As can be seen, it was rather low. I had the cameras to hand, as I'd already missed quite a lot of military aircraft activity earlier in the day, with Ospreys, Hercs, Apaches and other stuff buzzing around.
Pics 5 and 6. This little critter was hopping around the site earlier today. Apart from the squirrels, rarely seen in the open, there are various (noisy ) birds, rabbits, and Muntjak deer that appear, and don't seem at all bothered about the human prescence.

Apologies if the picture quality is a bit "off" - I'm using my lap-top, and the screen is, of course affected by the reflected light, so it's difficult to be sure of colour and contrast etc.
I'll post another up-date soon.

Scolfor 6.jpg
Scolfor 5.jpg
Scolfor 2.jpg
Scolfor 1.jpg
Scolfor 3.jpg
Scolfor 4.jpg

Yep, that's a red squirrel, but Geo was referring to the Muntjak, mentioned earlier, a small deer, about the size of a large dog, of Asian origin.

Not much to report, as I haven't been touring much. Got out around the local area a couple of times, but no pics, as any places of interest were difficult to park at. or closed due to Covid restrictions
Preparing to head home on Tuesday, after allowing the awning to dry out. The weather suddenly changed on Thursday, dropping from 27C and clear, sunny skies the previous day, to 15C and light rain on Thursday, followed by heavy rain, winds of 50 mph, and a temp of 9C yesterday and today.
There's some damage to fences around the site, and tree debris all over the place, but I'm happy to report that the new awning has stood up to it all, and is still intact and waterproof.
I'll post a couple of pics when I get home, after getting used to the fact that summer appears to be over, and I can look forward to cr@p weather for the next six months !

I decided to stay an extra couple of days, as the weather is quite pleasant. Not as hot as it has been, but sunny and a comfortable 17C.
Everything that needs to be packed and stored for the winter, has been attended to, and I'll probably set of for home late morning tomorrow.
I've had some info from my "neighbour" on site, which may result in some visits to places of interest not generally publisised, next year, one of which is a C-47 cockpit and nose section, apparently complete and original, jusging by the few photos he showed me, which is outside a certain industrial unit.
This particular chap knows the area quite well, having been born and raised a few miles away, and his late father was a collector of military and aviation artefacts, many found in the region. He's not sure if he'll be on the site next year, but he's given me rough directions to the mentioned areas.
Although I'm not particularly looking forward to heading back north, after three weeks of mainly great weather, in quiet surroundings, it'll be good to get back to the modelling bench, and catch up on those projects left standing for the last few months.
Although it'll be six months before I can return hers, there;s a chance I may get out and about in the X-Trail, weather permitting, so there may be the odd up-date now and then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back