The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

A few more "Speckled Hens" are likely to be consumed next week, as I'm aiming to depart for the site on Monday, staying at least a week, hopefully longer, depending on requirements for regular blood test monitoring, required for my medication.
Karl will be joining me for a couple of days, but the downside is that the Buchon flight our friend, Max, is supposed to be undertaking on 20th August, is looking as if it will be "scrubbed".
Max has been informed that, during engine runs, something "not good" was discovered in the Merlin fitted to the two-seat Buchon, which may, and probably will, result in the engine being removed and sent to the 'States ( the aircraft is American owned, but operated in the UK).
Max has asked Richard Grace to let him know what the problem is, when found, as he's interested to know ( as we probably all are).
I'd been invited, "air side", to photograph this event, and aimed to post some of the pics here on the forum, but it's looking highly likely that this won't happen now until next year - b*gger !!
But, as the weather id looking reasonable to excellent, I'll try to get "out and about" in the region, possibly to a museum, if open, and post some pics of the latest travels. I'll have at least limited Internet access ( I hope !), so I'll try to keep in touch.
Meanwhile, whilst I'm away, play nicely, and don't eat all the bacon !!

Max must be gutted with that news. Hopefully this will be rectified soon and that he will enjoy the ride sooner than later. Have a good stay Terry and check in when you can. We miss your sage inputs!

Just heard from Max, and he will know tomorrow whether or not the flight will go ahead.
However, I was very surprised to learn that he might change this ( if the Buchon is U/S) for a flight in a Hurricane !!
I wasn't aware of a two-seat Hurricane conversion, but apparently a Hurricane will be ready for passenger flights, from Biggin Hill, in about two week's time !!!
If he's able to do this in mid to late September, then I'll try to get to Biggin to photograph the event.
Meanwhile, I'm just making final preparations, and will be departing for Scole and "Van Blanc" around late morning tomorrow.

I've done some digging, and discovered that the two-seat Hurricane mentioned earlier, is the CC&F built MkIIb, BE505, formerly a single seat standard airframe, based at North Weald.
It's now at Biggin Hill, neatly converted to 2-seat configuration, with dual controls. There are some photos on the web-site, but of course they're copyright, but I'll try to get some pics if I'm able to get to Biggin, if Max does the flight.
Meanwhile, here's a pic when I last saw this Hurricane, at Little Gransden in 2014, and I'm happy to say that conversion (not shown here) has not spoiled the lines, being tastefully "concealed" with the two-part canopy.

LG 146.jpg

Just checking in from deepest Norfolk - 'net connection here is sporadic and slow, so more up-dates when I get home on the weekend.
Having a relaxing ( i.e lazy ! ) time, in mainly hot, sunny weather, although storm Francis hit yesterday, with very heavy rain ( had to change clothes twice, I got so wet ), and 50 mph winds - lucky as my pitch is screened by the trees and hedges, and other areas saw 80 mph gales.
The 'van was literally rocking last night, and falling branches and debris were banging on the roof, but after a couple of "Speckled Hens" I was almost oblivious ....
It looks like Max's Buchon flight will go ahead this year, probably mid to late September, as the Merlin engine has been air-freighted to the USA, and is scheduled to be turned around and returned quickly. All being well, I expect to be at Sywell to photograph the event when it eventually happens.
I'll be returning home on Sunday, to attend to a couple of things and have a scheduled blood test, then returning to Norfolk the following weekend, when I'll most likely stay until the end of the "season" (end of September) and close up the van for the winter and, of course, be on call for the Buchon flight.
I haven't traveled around much so far, as most places of interest are still closed, or have very limited opening times, due to the Covid thing, but Karl and I got to the Norwich Air Museum last week, and so far, I've met a couple of interesting people and had an enjoyable time. There's a chance I may get back over to Lakenheath on Friday, as the weather is looking reasonable for then, and I hope to get out and about a bit more when I return in early September, and I'll post a few pics when I get home on the weekend.
Meanwhile, please ensure that Jan doesn't escape, and keep him fed and watered (but no sharp objects), and DO NOT eat all the bacon !!

Thanks for the update Terry and looking forward to the pics. Jan's been let out on supervised day parole to buy some new kits. Seems he hasn't bought any in over a month.

After a very pleasant two weeks in Norfolk, I'm now back home for a week, in order to sort a few things and have my regular, monthly blood test.
The weather was mainly excellent, with temperatures in the high 20's to low 30's and sunny, although there were a couple of days when there was some light rain, and, of course, storm Francis hit last Tuesday, with winds of 50 mph ( 80+ mph elsewhere ) and very heavy rain.
Karl came down for a couple of day in the first week, and we managed to get to the Norwich Aviation Museum ( on one of the drizzly days).
The museum is located at the north end of what used to be RAF Horsham St. Faith, now Norwich International Airport and, although it used to be on the airfield proper. it has re-located to the area of former dispersal sites, outside the current airfield, and separated from the field by the relatively new ring road.
Due to the Covid restrictions, only part of this small museum was open, but the external collection of aircraft were easily viewed. Although normally open for internal viewing, the aircraft were were closed to the public until the pandemic is deemed safer.
The pics should be self-explanatory, and I've only included a few of the exhibits, some with a local connection, from Colitshall, and Wattisham.
More will follow in the next post.
Scole 1.jpg
Scole 2.jpg
Scole 3.jpg
Scole 4.jpg
Scole 5.jpg
Scole 6.jpg
Scole 7.jpg
Scole 8.jpg
Scole 9.jpg
Scole 10.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread