The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Always great to see what you two troublemakers are up to, Terry and Karl... That's some ground you guys have covered. Have you gotten over to Mepal at all?

Thanks all.

I rather think that Karl, wanting to use the Bloodhound to get rid of annoying seagulls, might have been ever so slightly over doing things, and probably not cricket, don't you know !

Grant, not been to Mepal yet, but then, there are at least another 8 or 10 airfield museums within an hour's drive or less of the "Tin Tent", plus another 50 or so disused airfield sites, and a couple more aviation museums too, so more to plan for the next season in Norfolk.

Grant, not been to Mepal yet, but then, there are at least another 8 or 10 airfield museums within an hour's drive or less of the "Tin Tent", plus another 50 or so disused airfield sites, and a couple more aviation museums too, so more to plan for the next season in Norfolk.

Cheers, Terry, let us know when you do. I'm watching this thread with interest.

Will do Grant. I won't be back to the "Tin Tent" until about May next year, but I already have a list of relatively local places to visit, some just a few minutes away, and most within an hour's drive. These include the Control Tower museums at Rougham (Bury St. Edmunds) and Seething, and the former NCO club and other buildings at Horham, as well as small museums at Hailsworth and other places.

I'm just working on the GB scores at the moment, but I'll be back soon with more from The Muckleburgh Collection.

The Muckleburgh Collection continued - 6.

So, on to the first batch of tanks, with more to follow soon.
Again, the exhibits were very tightly packed together in the various halls, making photography a little tricky, but at least visitors could get up close.

Pic 1. Although mounting a 76mm gun, this is technically not a tank, it's the Scorpion CVR(T) [Combat Vehicle, Reconnaissance, Tracked]. A light, fast recce vehicle with a three-man crew, and great fun to drive, on or off road.
Pic 2. Centurion and Chieftain MBTs crammed together.
Pic 3. Chieftain MBT.
Pic 4. Ford GPA "Seep".
Pics 5 & 6. Bren carrier mounting a Boys anti-tank rifle.
Pic 7. BSA M20.
Pic 8. Just peeking out from behind a truck is the front of an Abbott SPG, and alongside, a vehicle that particularly interested me. At first, I thought it was a Patton tank, but discovered that it is, in fact, a Swiss Panzer Pz.61. This has answered a question going back to 1967, when, as a 15 year old, I was travelling through Switzerland by train, when I saw three tanks waiting to cross the line via a level crossing, and thought they looked like Pattons. Now, I finally know what they were !
Pic 9. Another view of the Pz.61.
Pic 10. This is a Patton !

Muck 70.jpg
Muck 71.jpg
Muck 72.jpg
Muck 73.jpg
Muck 74.jpg
Muck 75.jpg
Muck 76.jpg
Muck 77.jpg
Muck 78.jpg
Muck 79.jpg

Last edited:
The Muckleburgh Collection continued - 7

Before looking at more (and more !) tanks, the first two pics were taken outside the cafe, looking north west and north over the AA site, towards the cliffs and the cold, grey, North Sea beyond.
The other pics will be easily recognisable, showing T-34/85, T-55, a British "Comet" tank, and a M-3 half track with quad .50 cals.

More tanks, armoured cars, guns and lots of nice models still to come ...............

Muck 80.jpg
Muck 81.jpg
Muck 82.jpg
Muck 83.jpg
Muck 84.jpg
Muck 85.jpg
Muck 86.jpg
Muck 87.jpg
Muck 88.jpg
Muck 89.jpg

Last edited:
Before looking at more (and more !) tanks, the first two pics were taken outside the cafe, looking north west and north over the AA site, towards the cliffs and the cold, grey, North Sea beyond.
The other pics will be easily recognisable, showing T-34/85, T-55, a British "Comet" tank, and a M-3 half track with quad .50 cals.

More tanks, armoured cars, guns and lots of nice models still to come ...............

View attachment 738946View attachment 738947View attachment 738948View attachment 738949View attachment 738950View attachment 738951View attachment 738952View attachment 738953View attachment 738954View attachment 738955
It appears, not only does the M-3's differential leak but also the left front brake cylinder.

Thanks for all of your museum shots! These are trips I will never make.

The Muckleburgh Collection continued - 8

Thanks, glad you like the pics, and yes, a number of the vehicles had a few oil and fluid leaks, not unusual for "vintage" vehicles that are still being driven as they were intended.

Taking a short break from all the heavy metal, and there's lots more yet to come, here's a very small selection of some of the many models on display, including the very large Spitfire hanging in one of the tank halls.
The models in the large glass display cabinet, all to 1/72nd scale, depict aircraft from units based throughout the region, both during WW2 and post-war.
The dioramas of the Vulcan and the B-24 Formation ship may be a little fanciful in the way of positioning and the surrounding equipment etc., but the models themselves were very well done, and all credit to the modellers concerned. (there'll be some stunning, scratch-built ship models shown later, after more armoured vehicles.)

Muck 90.jpg
Muck 91.jpg
Muck 92.jpg
Muck 93.jpg
Muck 94.jpg
Muck 95.jpg
Muck 96.jpg
Muck 97.jpg

Last edited:
Yep, I know that feeling. I still have a number of 1/48th and 1/35th vehicle kits to build, as well as quite a few 1/24th scale car kits !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back