The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent. (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks chaps.

Sod's Law I had just put my cameras away, and was sitting outside the Tin Tent at around 14.55hrs today, in beautiful sunshine and clear skies, when I heard a distinctive noise, getting louder.
Then, over the trees, at around 500 feet, the BBMF Lancaster appeared, glistening in the sunlight, beautifully lit, roaring past, heading roughly just north of west , with the fantastic sound of those four Merlins in harmony.
Fantastic to see it when not at an airshow, but a b*gger that my cameras weren't to hand !
Lesson learned for this location - keep cameras close at all times !!

Yep, darned shame I missed getting a shot, even though I already have hundreds of pics of it (including the interior, engines running, and under service in the hangar).
Something I really noticed was the sound. Being out here in the depths of Norfolk, without the background noise associated with airshows, I could hear the sound growing in volume and depth as it approached, then it really sounded magnificent as it flew past.

Checked the BBMF display schedule, and discovered that the Lanc had been displaying at the Eastbourne air show, on the south coast yesterday, with various fly pasts on the way back to base.
It's due to display at Cromer, on the north Norfolk coast on Wednesday. That location is about 40 miles due north of my location, so there's a slim chance that I might get to see it again, with cameras at the ready this time, just in case !!

I had planned to Visit Lakenheath on Wednesday, but I'll go the following day instead.

Sure rube it in why dont you.

Yearssss ago the Lancaster and Spit made a flight for some special occurence right over my head. (Holland near Leiden that is)
The Spit was early. It got fueled up at Valkenburg zh ( then a navy base) isnt there anymore.

I do remember the sound. It was like far but wasnt. The Lanc was at display height i must add.
It circled over my house, picked up the Spit and went on to the show.
It took 1 turn of the Lancaster to get the Spitfire were it supposed to be. All so very neatley done
Thundering at illegal height but i am very sure ground control had a blast.
As did i. And a whole lot of folk.

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back