The Travels of Tel's Tin Tent.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks chaps.

Sod's Law I had just put my cameras away, and was sitting outside the Tin Tent at around 14.55hrs today, in beautiful sunshine and clear skies, when I heard a distinctive noise, getting louder.
Then, over the trees, at around 500 feet, the BBMF Lancaster appeared, glistening in the sunlight, beautifully lit, roaring past, heading roughly just north of west , with the fantastic sound of those four Merlins in harmony.
Fantastic to see it when not at an airshow, but a b*gger that my cameras weren't to hand !
Lesson learned for this location - keep cameras close at all times !!

Yep, darned shame I missed getting a shot, even though I already have hundreds of pics of it (including the interior, engines running, and under service in the hangar).
Something I really noticed was the sound. Being out here in the depths of Norfolk, without the background noise associated with airshows, I could hear the sound growing in volume and depth as it approached, then it really sounded magnificent as it flew past.

Checked the BBMF display schedule, and discovered that the Lanc had been displaying at the Eastbourne air show, on the south coast yesterday, with various fly pasts on the way back to base.
It's due to display at Cromer, on the north Norfolk coast on Wednesday. That location is about 40 miles due north of my location, so there's a slim chance that I might get to see it again, with cameras at the ready this time, just in case !!

I had planned to Visit Lakenheath on Wednesday, but I'll go the following day instead.

Sure rube it in why dont you.

Yearssss ago the Lancaster and Spit made a flight for some special occurence right over my head. (Holland near Leiden that is)
The Spit was early. It got fueled up at Valkenburg zh ( then a navy base) isnt there anymore.

I do remember the sound. It was like far but wasnt. The Lanc was at display height i must add.
It circled over my house, picked up the Spit and went on to the show.
It took 1 turn of the Lancaster to get the Spitfire were it supposed to be. All so very neatley done
Thundering at illegal height but i am very sure ground control had a blast.
As did i. And a whole lot of folk.

Too bad you missed that shot of the Lanc Terry and good luck with the new tin tent. Good idea to upgrade if you find a deal. I had a 20+ year old moterhome a long time back and ended up giving it to the Salvation Army. When they get old you just can't keep ahead of the problems.

I agree Glenn.
There's still life in the old Tin Tent, and with a little "tarting up" it will be suitable for someone who can do the work.
But I can't, and no point paying for up-grades and repairs etc, when I can have a virtually new 'van (even though it's 20 years old) for a very decent price.

Good job on all the trials and tribulations. The Pre-wife and I have decided that after we settle in our new home, we will purchase a small tin tent. Nothing like the tin mansion we had which we sold at a tremendous loss. But such is life. Glad to see you survived the electrical crisis.

Thanks Chris.
It'll be good if you can get a Tin Tent once you're all settled in your new home. A medium-sized one (by US standards) would probably suit you for the odd couple of days away, or a week or two travelling.
Maybe the American (or Japanese) equivalent of my old Talbot Express would be the type to look for, and if you need any hints or tips, just shout.

Well, the BBMF Lanc did its display at Cromer yesterday, but didn't venture in my direction, so no pics I'm afraid.

I had intended to go to Lakenheath today, to see if there's any action from the resident F-15s. However, from the lack of noise during daylight hours, but jet noise, and rotor thump from Mildenhall's Ospreys during the night, I'm assuming the USAF at both bases are conducting night time sorties this week ( possibly confirmed by what I'm fairly sure was a sonic boom at around 22.30 hrs on Tuesday night, when a loud, double "thump" was heard, and my caravan, and those of my neighbours each side, rocked ! ).
It's also a tad windy at the moment, with gusts up to 45 mph, as the tail end of a storm passes through, although still around 21C at the moment, and due to calm down, with more sunshine and around 23C later this afternoon.

So nothing much to report or show just yet, and I'll be heading home for two weeks on Sunday, before returning to the Tin Tent on Sunday, 8th September. Karl will arrive on 10th September, when we'll then travel to Manston, in Kent, ready for our Lanc and Spitfire sim flights the following day.
All being well, there should be plenty of photos of the "flights", and the two museums, when we return.
Meanwhile, the wind is dropping, the sun is coming out, and I think it's time to light the barby and check the beer stocks ...........

Back from the Tin Tent for two weeks. Got a heavy cold already, as it's only 14C here and raining, as usual. Was 24C and rising when I left Norfolk yesterday !
Got lots of tidying and moving stuff around to do, ready for the new windows installation in October.
Looking forward to returning to the Tin Tent on 8th September, and our Lancaster and Spitfire simulator "flights" on the 11th, when I'll post further up-dates.

Karl and I have had a great couple of days here at the Tin Tent, with reasonable weather, although a lot cooler than previous weeks.
We traveled to Manston, near Ramsgate in Kent, on Tuesday afternoon, staying over night in a hotel just five minutes drive from the two museums on the northern edge of this famous WW2 airfield, visiting both on Wednesday.
The highlight (and main purpose) of our visit was the sessions "flying" the Lancaster and Spitfire simulators, more of which in following posts.
On Thursday we visited RAF Lakenheath, home of the USAF 4th Fighter Wing and only around a 40 minute drive from the Tin Tent, when we were fortunate enough to see a lot of activity in the space of about 45 minutes, with F-15s and F-35s taking off and recovering, including some touch and goes.

Karl returned home on Friday morning, but I'm here for a further two weeks, before packing up for the end of the season, and transferring stuff to the new caravan (Tin Tent Mk.III.), and I'll edit and post the pics in this thread, and also a new thread covering both Museums in depth.
Meanwhile the pics below are a "taster" showing the very accurate Lancaster forward fuselage, completely fitted out with genuine equipment, with the controls and instruments linked to the wrap-around screen and simulator.

Back soon, 'net connection permitting ..............

Forum Lanc sim.jpg
Forum Lanc sim 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back