The Wall Of Shame

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here you go then.
The first is a conversion from the Airfix Mosquito FBVI into a BIX, built 19 years ago as the 'model' for one of my paintings, and it's been sitting on a shelf ever since, unfinished! The extended angine nacelles and bulged bomb bay were moulded and sculpted in Milliput, and the nose came from the old 1960's Monogram BIV kit. I moulded the now discoloured canopy, and when I eventually get around to finishing this model, I'll mould a new one, and add the frames. The detail parts, such as the entrance hatch cover, have already been scratch-built, and are sitting in a box somewhere!
The P47 is the Academy item, a very nice kit, and doesn't need much to finish it, all the 'missing' parts having already been painted. The NMF was brush-painted, using the technique I described in the 'Bare Metal' guide, and as you can see, is rather grubby and dusty at the moment, as the model was built about 8 years ago. I never got around to making the diorama base for it, so it's just been sitting at the back of a hidden shelf, forlorn and forgotten. After a dusting and polishing, it should regain it's sheen, and I'll get it on a base soon.
Finally, another very dusty 1/48th conversion, this time a Spitfire PR19, from the old Hobbycraft kit, made about 10 years ago. This was a fairly simple conversion, the most time consuming area being the moulding of the canopy. The 'ridge' at the base of the canopy is the externall runner, as the PR19, being pressurised, didn't have a cockpit access door, and the canopy was mounted on external rails to help facilitate with pressurisation. The model just needs a darn good clean, a bit of touching up here and there, then the final parts and some decals adding.
I'll post some pics of some more 'hangar queens' soon, along with the cast of 'The 21st Panzer Division in Normandy', all 45+ items, intended for a yet to be built 1/35th scale diorama.

Attachments

• Wall of Shame 006.jpg
    Wall of Shame 006.jpg
    28.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Wall of Shame 008.jpg
    Wall of Shame 008.jpg
    29.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Wall of Shame 009.jpg
    Wall of Shame 009.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 110
  • Wall of Shame 001.jpg
    Wall of Shame 001.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 114
  • Wall of Shame 002.jpg
    Wall of Shame 002.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 117
  • Wall of Shame 019.jpg
    Wall of Shame 019.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 123
Wow... love the P-47 checkering, Airframes. Nice and crisp. Even if it is 'dirty' and 'forlorn' as you mention.

Well, I'll post mine. What started out as my rather excited enthusiasm to make the1/72nd Revell Shagbat (Walrus), I quickly ran into almost insurmountable problems. I had made this same kit as a kid and I recalled it went fine. Perhaps my standards have changed over the years.

http://www.ww2aircraft.net/forum/st...l-1-72nd-supermarine-walrus-mk-1-a-15759.html

Well bugger me! :angry5:

First up, the engine nacelle would NOT friggin' fit. It should be noted that the engine nacelle is actually supposed to be slighly yawed from centerline. Fiddling, fudging, fiddling and more fudging... I broke off ALL the upper engine nacelle struts.

Okay. Second up. A little scratch work to fix the upper struts and I break two lower struts in my fitting.

Third up. Once the upper wing is fitted, it becomes apparent that the outter wing panel dihedral IS NOT FRIGGIN FLAT REVELL YOU PRICKS!!! The outter wing struts were too short. So a snippin' I go to the engine nacelle upper struts to maintain the strut location geometry.

Snip here. Snip there. Oops too much. Counter snip. Counter, counter snip. You get the picture.

Finally get the GD upper wing in alignment, but the struts have no real structural integrity. A little stoopid glue and all is well.

Fourth up. An dumbass hand palsy breaks the upper wing from the lower wing. A few breaths to prevent a Walrul Mk I frisbee and I decide to drill holes to create a better bond and thus more structural integrity. Finally I get it fastened down. The engine nacelle is ENTIRELY too close to the upper wing. And my EFFING weathering has entirely whited out my beautiful British sea camo.

Oh well. I still enjoyed result. Just not the journey.

But never again.

Attachments

• DSCF2036.JPG
    DSCF2036.JPG
    49.7 KB · Views: 99
  • DSCF2039.JPG
    DSCF2039.JPG
    59.2 KB · Views: 102
  • DSCF2031.JPG
    DSCF2031.JPG
    61 KB · Views: 93
Last edited:
I still think you've made a darn good job of it Matt. So much so, I'm intending, if possible, to add a 1/48th scale Walrus to the MTO build when it starts - all due to the inspiration from your model.

Well best of luck to you then, Airframes. I appreciate the comment, but that build tested my ability to come up with the most sentences that included "whore", "mother-effer", Revell and Walrus.

I look forward to your much better skill. And patience. For I know you possess more of both.

No way does that Walrus belong in the Hall of Shame, it's a great build! Despite the frustration of the build Matt, you came out the other end with a damn fine model! :thumbleft:

I have some models that probably deserve to be on the wall of shame.....but I finished them anyway, glued together broken stuff.

But I have a couple I haven't finished, don't have the pictures right now but I did have a P-38 where the silver metal finish got hair in it. Painted it outside in the semi evening and didn't see the hairs till it was drying. Scratched it up trying to get the hair off, still haven't decided if to sand it and finish it off with a scratchy worn surface or just leave it a while longer.

But a lot of the models on here look really good, nice enough to display with pride. But beware the Walrus!!!!

Last edited:
Terry your Mossie looks great apart from the canopy as that obviously needs replacing and your P47 looks like the real thing that has just been cannibalised for spare parts. As for the Spit, it looks damn fine to me. Matt, it was after reading your Start to Finish build for your Walrus that I got the idea for this thread. After reading about knocking top wings off I could relate to your build as I did the same with mine. How come when you build a monoplane it never gets dropped/knocked of anywhere but as soon as you build a biplane it hits the floor everytime? BTW Matt, do Americans actually say "Well Bugger Me" as I thought that was just a British thing?.

Last edited:
Matt, the pilot in the Walrus looks like he is yelling "Get me the hell out of here!!", even he knows the troubles you went through.. Terry, the P47 is right there man, and the Mossie just needs a canopy, finish them!! :)

Well heres my entry, Revells 1/48 Corsair F4U-4 aka "Lil' Mag". Most of the vets know of this sad tale, but for the rest of you, it begins and ends here.....

PIC 1 Shows where I stopped in the build
PIC 2 Shows why I stopped
PIC 3 Shows why I stopped again but closer :lol:

These type of things are silver bullets to us Modelers, yes it was fixable but the next kit in the stash was waiting.. :)

Attachments

• PICT0545.JPG
    PICT0545.JPG
    78.2 KB · Views: 87
  • PICT0546.JPG
    PICT0546.JPG
    83.8 KB · Views: 108
  • PICT0547.JPG
    PICT0547.JPG
    81.9 KB · Views: 107
Mag, send that piece to Dr Wojtek, he'll sort it out for you!

No kidding. But some 0.10in stock would fix that right up!

But then that is why you volunteered it for the shame category isn't it. :toothy5:

I've bought a similar kit. Stuff happens.

Sure you can Matt, it can handle anything!

Its a wall of shame in my opinion.. Shame on Revell, the mold tray, and myself. Geez you guys make me feel all like this!! :cry::cry::lol:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back