The Weather Where You Live? (5 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Drove to PG yesterday to make sure I wouldn't miss appointments today and a good thing I did. Drove through a snowstorm and its still snowing. Whiteouts for a few seconds whenever a semi went by. Only one vehicle was in the ditch, a 4 x4 and it was upside down
And that's why I live in Houston, hey wait a minute, get down here a take your drunken weather back home.

The weather here in Redding (Northern California) has been typical:
Cold and clear
Cold and rain
Cold and foggy
Cold and foggy with rain
Cold and overcast
Cold and...clear - wait, snow???
Cold and who knows
Cold and I have beer, I don't care anymore
More cold...
Had an Uncle and Aunt who lived there and it's about the same as Oregon. Beer makes , well beer and bacon makes everything better.

I have no clue what you guys are all talking/bitching about...

77F and foggy this AM:
Fog.jpg

Yes, the view from my office is terrible...

Rainbow.jpg

Actually, those are our beach webcams, but my office is right close to them.

I have no clue what you guys are all talking/bitching about...

77F and foggy this AM:
View attachment 613057

Yes, the view from my office is terrible...

View attachment 613058

Actually, those are our beach webcams, but my office is right close to them.
When I lived in Orange County (southern California), we used to suffer through brutal winters where we actually had to wear a flannel shirt over our t-shirt.
Occasionally we had to put on a jacket - God only knows how we survived...

Hurricanes... BAH!! The last one to hit Tampa Bay was in October 1921, so I say "Humbug" to all that.

Pardon me? Were you not alive in 2004? We lost power for four days due to one of the hurricanes. I forget which one. We got hurricane winds three times within a month and a half. Of course, none of them were "the big one," so we did get pretty lucky.

1) Charley hit Fort Myers (south of Tampa Bay area) as a cat 4, so we -were- in the northern part of the cone of hurricane force winds.
2) Frances had been downgraded to a tropical storm, in the south part of Polk County (part of the "Bay Area"), just before the eye went over Tampa itself, so we did get hurricane force winds.
3) Jeanne was still a cat 1 when it went directly over Plant City (Tampa "suburb").

Now, speaking of CURRENT weather, this whole winter has sucked. The overnight lows are what the daytime highs are supposed to be (50s-60s), and the highs are in the mid to upper 80s more often than not. Now, this is in the middle of the coldest part of winter, mind you. I don't want to know what this summer is going to be like. When I was growing up here (I moved to the Tampa Bay Area in the middle of 1965.), we had several freezes every winter, a couple of them being "hard freezes" (under 20 degrees F). Conversely, it never got above about 96 or so, during the hottest part of the summer.

I don't think it's gotten below freezing where I am (Lutz (pronounced "Loots") - NE suburb of Tampa) at all, this year. I know it came close (34?) but never made it. And this is not the first winter it's been this way, although this has been the worst. Here's the reading (very accurate thermometer, btw) from our van, from December, a couple years back, then one from the summer after it, on an average day (not the hottest part of the day).

December
101 Degree December.jpg

Summer
113 Summer Thermometer.jpg

-Irish

p.s. WTaF are the Texans doing complaining about snow? I see it all over the news, with them acting like they've never seen the stuff. I spent a few months (winter & spring of 1969/70) in the suburbs of Dallas, living with my older sister and her family. There was snow on the ground all winter, then it got above 120 degrees every day for two weeks straight, in late spring. I can take one or the other, but that much cold then that much heat within the same six month period, no thank you! My dad and I left as soon as the school year ended. We came back to Florida and never looked back. :wave:

Last edited:
Pardon me? Were you not alive in 2004? We lost power for four days due to one of the hurricanes. I forget which one. We got hurricane winds three times within a month and a half. Of course, none of them were "the big one," so we did get pretty lucky.

1) Charley hit Fort Myers (south of Tampa Bay area) as a cat 4, so we -were- in the northern part of the cone of hurricane force winds.
2) Frances had been downgraded to a tropical storm, in the south part of Polk County (part of the "Bay Area"), just before the eye went over Tampa itself, so we did get hurricane force winds.
3) Jeanne was still a cat 1 when it went directly over Plant City (Tampa "suburb").

Now, speaking of CURRENT weather, this whole winter has sucked. The overnight lows are what the daytime highs are supposed to be (50s-60s), and the highs are in the mid to upper 80s more often than not. Now, this is in the middle of the coldest part of winter, mind you. I don't want to know what this summer is going to be like. When I was growing up here (I moved to the Tampa Bay Area in the middle of 1965.), we had several freezes every winter, a couple of them being "hard freezes" (under 20 degrees F). Conversely, it never got above about 96 or so, during the hottest part of the summer.

I don't think it's gotten below freezing where I am (Lutz (pronounced "Loots") - NE suburb of Tampa) at all, this year. I know it came close (34?) but never made it. And this is not the first winter it's been this way, although this has been the worst. Here's the reading (very accurate thermometer, btw) from our van, from December, a couple years back, then one from the summer after it, on an average day (not the hottest part of the day).

December
View attachment 613172

Summer
View attachment 613173

-Irish

p.s. WTaF are the Texans doing complaining about snow? I see it all over the news, with them acting like they've never seen the stuff. I spent a few months (winter & spring of 1969/70) in the suburbs of Dallas, living with my older sister and her family. There was snow on the ground all winter, then it got above 120 degrees every day for two weeks straight, in late spring. I can take one or the other, but that much cold then that much heat within the same six month period, no thank you! My dad and I left as soon as the school year ended. We came back to Florida and never looked back. :wave:
That's Dallas! This is Houston!

December
View attachment 613172

Summer
View attachment 613173

-Irish

PSHAW! Those were mere inconveniences for such cosmopolitan individuals such as myself. ;)

Actually:

1 - Fort Myers is decidedly NOT Tampa Bay or even the TB area. We got wind and rain.
2 - News flash, Frances hit the Space Coast and crossed the peninsula, the effect on Tampa (wind and rain) was no where near that of Kissimmee and points east.
3 - Jeanne passed up the Atlantic Coast, again having the greatest effect on points east of Tampa (wind and rain).

No, I'm speaking specifically of a DIRECT HIT, which has not happened since October of 1921. In 2017, Hurricane Irma came ashore south of TB and did cause power outages and some minor wind damage. That was as close to a hit as TB has had in the intervening 96 years and still can't be counted as a strike on TB.

No, the 1921 storm came ashore at Tarpon Springs in the Northwest Quadrant of Pinellas county with damage as far as Captiva and Sanibel Islands. St. Pete had something like 6 feet of water in the streets, Pass-a-Grille was feared to be totally destroyed (turned out not to be thank God) and damage due to the storm surge was extensive, while strangely wind damage was not much of a factor. There was over 12 feet of water in downtown Tampa and they estimate over 12 inches of rainfall.

THAT is what I'm talking about, if a Cat 4 or God forbid a Cat 5 hit Tampa-St. Pete-Clearwater head on I shudder to think of what might happen, it could be ugly with a capital "U".

BTW, not trying to sound like I'm arguing or being a dick, just illustrating what I meant.

I realize you parochial types out in Lutz (pronounced Lutz by civilized people) might have a different view, but I'm here to help. :razz::lol::lol::lol:

Seriously, didn't know you were that close by man, I came to FL from Ann Arbor in 1980 and haven't looked back. Snow!? UGH! Fugedabouddit...

Weather here in Idaho is wack this winter. For the most part it was not to cold and no snow when it suddenly dumped for a day or two straight. (Still wasn't that cold in my opinion) and then it stopped and a few days later practically all the snow is gone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back