The Weather Where You Live? (2 Viewers)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

-From over 100° F to just above 60° F is a big enough change but our county and most of the state is under rain, flood and high wind warnings due to Hurricane Hilary.
-The Governor has already called out parts of the Guard and Las Vegas is already suffering floods even though the "tropical storm" is still down by Los Angeles.
-My age is really showing: when I was growing up hurricanes were in the Atlantic, cyclones were in the Indian Ocean and Pacific storms were typhoons. In fact, when I was still in the Army we studied the Navy/Marine Corps annually updated plans for the almost annual disaster response to cyclones in Bangladesh, and MANY Marines have told me they are NEVER wrong.

Take care, Dave.
BTW, does the water shortage seem to be solved by Hilary?
Thank you, Shinpachi.

Our drought ended last winter with above average rain and snow.

Hilary did bring some rain (and strong winds) to this area yesterday, but it was much more severe in areas directly in the cyclone's path, like Southern California and south-western Nevada.

Currently, it's hazy with broken cloud cover (and solid overcast to the east, toward Nevada) with a temperature of 85°F and humidity at 70% (typical humidity this time of year is around 10%).

Thank you, Shinpachi.

Our drought ended last winter with above average rain and snow.

Hilary did bring some rain (and strong winds) to this area yesterday, but it was much more severe in areas directly in the cyclone's path, like Southern California and south-western Nevada.

Currently, it's hazy with broken cloud cover (and solid overcast to the east, toward Nevada) with a temperature of 85°F and humidity at 70% (typical humidity this time of year is around 10%).
You're up north, not as much of an issue I hope. Northern California is a completely different culture than Sacramento and below.

You're up north, not as much of an issue I hope. Northern California is a completely different culture than Sacramento and below.
Central California can have similar weather on average, but with the delta and a broad plain between the Coastal and Sierra mountains, the weather patterns will vary.

Up here, in Shasta County, the northern portion of the central valley terminates in a "horseshoe", as we have the Sierra mountains to the east, the Coastal/Klamath mountains to the west and the Cascade mountains to the north - which is why the area can swelter under Meditteranean climate conditions.

As for Hilary, the storm slammed I to the San Bernardino mountains, which took away alot of it's punch, then got funneled into the Long Valley which forced it to followed the Eastern slope of the Sierras as it tracked north, so we just caught the fringe of the storm up here.

I beleive it was Cyclone Inez? (I may be wrong with the name) that came up from the Sea of Cortez and got caught in Long Valley and broke up over the Sierras, too, back in 2006 or 2007.

IMG_3132.jpeg

Just had a conversation yesterday with a person, who tried to tell me that tropical cyclone Hillary reaching California was the first and a sure sign of climate change - I tried to explain that since the 1800's, there have been ten such occasions, eight of which were before the 21st century.

But nope, they would not accept that fact.

The fact remains, though, that by virtue of oir cold water current offshore and geography, California has been spared from any Cyclone making landfall as anything more than a Tropical Storm.

That being said, I truly hope our forum friends and their families back east remain safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back