The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Why don't we all just post pics any old time regardless of whether we won the last question?
For example I'm itching to post the one below and ask what plane it is-

Yes I am for this type of rules but only people had to wait untill the answer is given to post again right ? ( too messy otherwise ).
For this one I bet on a Grummann Avenger ? tail gunner ?

If we post pics 'any old time', there's a chance of a number of pics being displayed at any one time, which could get messy.
If the majority plumb for this, then so be it, but personally, I think we should stick by the 'rules', such as they are - have patience, they've worked well so far, so if it ain't broke, why fix it, to please a minority?
And yes, it looks like the wooden mock-up of the Avenger tunnel gun position.

Yes it's an Avenger ventral gun mockup at the design stage..

Presumably the gun was retracted during landing-

As regards the quiz format, it's just that I thought if any of us (not just the winner) posted a quiz pic after the last one had been answered, it'd jazz up the thread and make it faster moving. Maybe we could trial it for a while to see if we like it and let the mods make a final decision?
For example now that the Avenger's been dealt with i could post this Hellcat pic and ask why they're painted orange?

Last edited:
Grampa is right. "Drone" Hellcat.
Funny fact ; I read once a story on one of these F6F-3K that decided to "fly for himself" disconnected from the aibase ( disfuction of course ).
USAF attempted to destroy the aircraft but....failed ! finally the Hellcat run out of petrol and crashed in the desert.
Funny Sotry no ?

Ps: I prefered when the Topic was to put parts of aircaft, makes it too easy otherwise ( but this is only my point of view ).
For the faster moving topic I agree only on the fact that anyone can post a picture, ONLY if the previous one had been found and confirmed. But my dear friend Airframes is perfectly right : the majority don't have to suffer from the minority. How can we vote on this forum ?

Incidentally, moderator Matt has just asked me my age and I told him I'm 64, I hope I haven't I done something wrong (sniffle)
PS- I was admin/mod at The Few Good Men wargaming/military discussion forum, and I also post around other military forums and websites too

Poor Old Spike in Plymouth UK, 2011

Last edited:
Grampa is right. "Drone" Hellcat...

Yay..
I used to fly drones myself 30 years ago (radio-control models) and I still have recurring dreams in which I'm flying one but am having trouble controlling it and wake up in a sweat, ha ha!

Did somebody say my questions are too easy? Ok let's rack up the difficulty level a bit with this one, what is it?

And for a bit of jokey fun, what Messerschmitt type is this?-

Last edited:
I think we should stick with the rules in post # 1 laid down by Gary who started this thread. They've worked well for 1470 posts, don't mess with it.

That second pic is a Messerschmidt KR200 car by the way. Tony (Rocketeer) has one I believe.

Attachments

• messerschmitt-kr-200-03.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 85
Just my opinion, for what it's worth, but this game might be too slow for some, but it's a good way to learn new things and have a challenge at the same time.

Also bear in mind that some folks will be at work or away for the day, so they can't always jump in and post a clue if they've won the previous challenge. Of course, if the winner decides to give up posting the next clue because of the afore-mentioned, that's fine, it's thier decision

Also, randomly posting images and/or clues out of turn creates a chaotic situation, especially if some of us are viewing the thread on a mobile device and then it takes forever to scroll back and see what the current challenge's clue is (and the guesses).

These are my thoughts for what it's worth, and I think the final say on any decision that deviates from the current standard would be left to GeeDee, who started the thread.

GrauGeist made a point.
Ok the game stay as it is with the already instored Rules.

Ps : Yes Grampa, Tail Gun of the He177 Obviously
So Grampa your turn now

I agree with Dave (Grau Geist), and the 'game' is entitled 'What is it?', not 'Why is it?' or 'Where is it?', the idea being to identify an aircraft type by viewing a small part of it.
If we start randomly posting pics of anything and everything, at any time, then it will get over complicated, miss the spirit of the 'game', and possibly irritate a lot of people who have taken time to choose images, or wrack their brains to deduce what the current image is.
Those who wish to try something different are, of course, free to start their own thread(s).

Yup it was a Greif and a Messerschmitt Car

Alright i'll only carry on posting in this thread if a Mod asks me to..
Incidentally Capt. Vick got the last question right under the old rules (Flettner) on March 3rd so it's his turn to post the next question.

Last edited:
Sorry Poor Old Spike to ask you this question, but you want to be famous as you said or play with us ?

I think your last post was incorrect, we are not rejecting you, we just say we keep old rules if you don't mind. Then you can play with us. No need for a moderator to tell you that you can play with us.
I personally don't really care whenever you are famous or not on other forums, we never said we did not like you ; everybody is wellcome as long as we make constructive discussions, as a result you are wellcome. You made a suggestion, we discussed of it now we have taken a common desision, no big deal.

So can we get back on the game please ?

Last edited:
You made a suggestion, we discussed of it now we have taken a common desision, no big deal.
So can we get back on the game please ?

Yes, if the majority want to keep the old rules that's democracy in action, where are the Poll results?..
Incidentally are there any German speakers here? Is it spelt Grief or Greif? I don't know

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread