The What is it? Game

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I've been going down the glider route too, and the A-20, and P-38. But, the actuator fairings on the wing underside don't fit. Allowing for camera angle, lens distortion etc, the only one I can think of (which is likely to wear AEAF stripes), and with a similar wing plan form, and those actuator fairings, is the P-51 Mustang.

Another glider used in Normandy by the britts where the GAL.48 Hotspur, but there's no survivor left so Norab couldent have taken a picture of it, except for a replika thats been build and it has wrong color I have heard.

not a 51, and as previously stated, not a Hotspur and I don't know of any of the Douglases that survived, The glider path is a profitable one and since it's in a reputable museum, I'm reasonably sure the paint job is accurate, enjoy

Hotspurs were not used operationally, there are only replica Horsas left, apart from some fuselage sections, if it's not a Waco or one of the other gliders used at Normandy, maybe a glider tug - possibly a C46 Commando?

B*gg*r ! I've been staring at the pic, trying to figure out what seemed out of place - and it turns out to be those bl**dy stripes!
OK, possibly an F-86 Sabre then?

Norab, P-51D??? you've already nixed that but get a load of this pic:. Notice the invasion stipes?

Attachments

• P-51-ho-r4.jpg
    P-51-ho-r4.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 87
Last edited:
not a 51, and as previously stated, not a Hotspur and I don't know of any of the Douglases that survived, The glider path is a profitable one and since it's in a reputable museum, I'm reasonably sure the paint job is accurate, enjoy
I caught that little clue, but not many glider types were used other than the ones we've covered, so it must be a rare survivng prototype. I did read somewhere that there were other ID stripes used for different operations during the war...that could be the reason for the "reverse" invasion stripes.

We have a winner, take it away Naoned

glider.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back