The Zero Incident

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Thanks for sharing such a very interesting report, Merv, but I am obliged to think that it could be a Ki-43-II Oscar of the army's 64th flight squadron of 5th flight group there as the Imphal Operation was solely planned and carried out by IJA though my knowledge is not necessarily perfect and value of the story is not changed even if it was not Zero.

Thanks for sharing such a very interesting report, Merv, but I am obliged to think that it could be a Ki-43-II Oscar of the army's 64th flight squadron of 5th flight group there as the Imphal Operation was solely planned and carried out by IJA though my knowledge is not necessarily perfect and value of the story is not changed even if it was not Zero.

Nice information my friend!

Nice information my friend!

Thanks Paul:)
Attached image shows the Ki-43-III of Major Hideo Miyabe who also belonged to the 64th flight squadron.
It could be Ki-43-II in early 1944.

miyabe01.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks Park and Gnomey!
The movie "Kato Hayabusa Sentotai(Kato Hayabusa Fighter Wing)" was produced by Imperial Japanese Army as propaganda film, using several captured allied aircrafts, in 1944.

Susumu Fujita played as Major Tateo Kato.
Eiji Tsuburaya who is now famous for Godzilla movies was then in charge of the special effects.
Movie directed by Kajiro Yamamoto.

Great information, Shinpachi!

It seems like anything Japanese that was seen in the skies in the Pacific was assumed to be a "Zero"...much like any German tanks the Allies spotted after Normandy was immediately assumed to be a Tiger :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back