Third Lancaster 'may be airborne in 15 months'

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

v2

Captain
Nov 9, 2005
Cracow
The world's third airworthy Lancaster bomber could be up and flying within 15 months.

Brothers Fred and Harold Panton, of Spilsby, own an Avro Lancaster bomber NX611 and are planning to get it flying again after 37 years on the ground.

Called 'Just Jane', the Second World War bomber is kept at the Lincolnshire Aviation Heritage Centre in East Kirkby.

It will become the third airworthy Lancaster in the world and the second in Lincolnshire.

Out of 7,377 Lancasters built in the 1940s, PA474 - which makes up part of the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight at RAF Coningsby and another in Canada are the only remaining airworthy Lancasters.

Fred Panton (77) said that after acquiring Just Jane in 1983 and painstakingly restoring her so that she can taxi around the East Kirkby airfield, getting her into the air again is their next challenge.

Mr Panton said that after further consultations with engineers, they would make a decision next month whether to go ahead with the plan.

"It will then take us 12 to 14 months to go through getting all the systems checked," he said.

Just Jane still has all four working Merlin engines but does not have a flight safety certificate.

source: this is lincolnshire- news, entertainment, jobs, homes and cars

That would be truely awesome. THe group that keep her going are sure dedicated done a fair bit of reading about this Lanc. Flew to Australia and back!

Anyway would be fantastic to see it up again, wish them the best of luck!

Fantastic!!

I've just read the book "Two Farmers and a Lancastor" which tells all about how it was aquired and slowly restored.

One question, in the book it says 'Just Jane' would need a costly spar replacement before she could fly again.
Is this in the process of happening, yet to happen, or has it been done??

Please keep us informed!
Just think, 'Just Jane' in formation with the BBMF Lanc, Spitfire and Hurricane!!

If they get Jane in the air to plan I can see 2 Lancs 7 Spites and 4 Hurries doing a Duxford Legends fly past in 2010.
How about 19 Merlins Heinz and may be a couple of Griffons for good measure.

This is brilliant news, If it comes off!!--- I have the book " The Last Lanc" about the Flight of this aircraft from Australia---Epic stuff. Just to think it may fly again......... as long as it does'nt cost as much as the Vulcan!!!

Thanks for the link.......

Coincidentally I was there this afternoon and I admit she is looking good. The rear turret is being totally rebuilt and is out of the aircraft and work is being done to the wingtips but she looks in good shape.
P1010056.JPG
P1010065.JPG

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back