"This day in the war in the Pacific" Is Coming To An End

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

syscom3

Pacific Historian
Jun 4, 2005
Orange County, CA
Its hard to believe my thread "This day in the war in the Pacific" is coming to a close. Still ten days left till surrender, but I think its time to recognize my endeavor is nearly complete.

When I first started this thread over three and a half years ago, (first post Dec 9th 2006) I would never have guessed this would continue uninterrupted. Well, here we are 1436 posts later.

I myself have truly enjoyed doing this thread. I've always had an interest in the war in the Pacific, and this was a labor of love. If anything, I've gotten an appreciation on the vastness of the war in this part of the world and how so many elements came into play. I myself learned of many events I had never heard of. If anything, I now understand why the allies won. It wasn't just the quality of the weapons and the skill and valor of the troops. It was the unsung officers (of all the branches) who planned the logistics and kept the war machine humming.

I would like to thank all of you who enjoyed this thread. It was a pleasure to serve you.

On the occasions I was near an internet connection and could log on, this was one thread I always looked for - will miss it! Thanks for 3+ years of effort!!!

Sys, truly fantastic! Your thread(s) was one of the reasons that made me come back here so much to become a member. I'm not so much into technical aspects but historical timelines fascinate me.

Great grea job!!!!

Its agreat effort and a credit Sys. But fighting continued for some time after the formal surrender. Major battles continued to rage in Manchuria for up to a month after surrender, and the Japanese were quickly rearmed and utilized in localized capacities in NEI and Indochina. I think it also worthwhile to note some of the footnotes to the war, like the last Jaspanese soldier to surrender....in 1974, on the island of Saipan

And wasn't there one more Japanese, or more, holdouts on Guam? He lived in a dug out cave and outlived a couple others? You have to admire someone like that in a way, his commitment, his loyalty.

Its agreat effort and a credit Sys. But fighting continued for some time after the formal surrender. Major battles continued to rage in Manchuria for up to a month after surrender, and the Japanese were quickly rearmed and utilized in localized capacities in NEI and Indochina. I think it also worthwhile to note some of the footnotes to the war, like the last Jaspanese soldier to surrender....in 1974, on the island of Saipan

All true and I will continue to post as I come across the info. But, in all practicality, things are coming to an end.

As I mentioned, there's so many aspects to this theater. Nobody in this forum should be surprised on what we all find out and share with each other.

As for the remaining Japanese soldier turning himself in, the 65th anniversary of that will be in 2037. If I am around, I will be happy to post it for you.

Today's post for Sept 6th 1945 is effectively the last posting for this thread. I only see a couple more postings over the next month, but a daily listing is over.

Of course if anytime I find stuff related to the demobilization, I will be happy to share it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back