This is what got me to love WWII aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B-17engineer

Colonel
Dec 9, 2007
Revis Island.
Ok this is a Picture of me on a Lancaster one of two still able to fly I believe. This was about 6 years ago.....I started to love planes I didnt get into the specifics till last year...I loved flying to florida I would always want to sit near the window etc......I don't have glasses anymore :D

Attachments

• 100_0875.jpg
    100_0875.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 598
  • 100_0871.jpg
    100_0871.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 591
Lucky boy! You realise that, certainly in the U.K., very few people get the chance to go inside a Lanc? Savour the memory, I do, having been in two and flown in one, but I was VERY lucky, as both times it was due to photographic assignments. These days,because of the arthritis, I would have difficulty climbing the access ladder, letalone negotiating the main spar!!! I presume that was the Canadian Warplane Heritage Lanc?

Yes it was....They were taking donations and basically you got in based on generousity (if thats how you spell it)
did they fly it or was it just static(on the ground)
Just to make you jealous its scheduled to fly this weekend and we get about 5 circuits over the house

Aw sweet it took of and flew around but it was just the crew :lol: ....It was static but you could stay in as long as you wanted.....It got a bit to crowded though so after 15-20 minutes of exploring we left...It was really cool though! Suprised only one pilot flew the Lancaster though....say if the pilot was mortally wounded who would fly...the flight engineer?

Welcome to the world of insurance premiums, B17. Likely their insurance would only cover a single pilot in case of catastrophe. Like the UK Lanc that only taxi's, lifts the tail and then decelerates.

You won't find an advocate in me to fly these rare birds. I believe that they should be on static display ONLY. But I don't have too many fans on this forum that would agree with me.

but in WWII what would have happened

You mean a single pilot? He had all the flight and engine controls at his station. So, barring severe damage requiring the flight engineer to divert fuel between tanks, degrade hydraulic systems, electrical systems, etc. there is no reason that one person could not fly a Lanc.

Hi B-17,

>Ok this is a Picture of me on a Lancaster one of two still able to fly I believe.

Hey, you've got time in the left seat of a Lancaster? Way to go! :)

I'm not sure if the attached photograph is the same aircraft, but obviously it's one of the flyable ones (shot at the 2008 KLU Open Day).

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• DSC02718.jpg
    DSC02718.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 201
Just going back to the wounded/killed pilot, on Lancs and Halifaxes; the Flight Engineer's normally had enough basic training to fly the aircraft, at least straight and level, and some have been known (and Navigators) to bring the aircraft home and land it. If you've ever seen the movie 'The Dam Busters', it's even mentioned there, when 'Guy Gibson' tells his Flt. Engr. to get ready to pull him out of the seat if he's hit. (meaning on the run-in to the dam.) The line in the movie is based on fact, by the way, not just some movie-makers idea of adding drama.

Yes Henning, yours is PA474 which is the RAF's Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's Lancaster.

Nice pic B-17, it is still some I need to do but it is hard to get inside the BBMF Lanc (or any of the other aircraft except maybe the C-47). I have been inside the cockpit of a Lanc in a museum - IWM London but other than that I have yet to be inside one of this classic warbirds.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back