This is what got me to love WWII aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Airframes,

>The line in the movie is based on fact, by the way, not just some movie-makers idea of adding drama.

I remember reading an account of a Lancaster crew whose pilot was incapacitated by colliding with a snipe flying at 9000 ft over Germany at night. The navigator (or flight engineer) flew them back to England, but his skills were not sufficient for a night landing, and he knew that. I believe they were discussing whether to attempt it anyway or to bail out into the dark when the pilot regained consciousness and managed to land the plane safely despite his eyes being swollen almost shut.

I believe that I must have found it in a collection of Bomber Command accounts titled "Looking Down Into Hell". Incredible which dangers the crews faced!

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Hi Gonmey,

>Yes Henning, yours is PA474 which is the RAF's Battle of Britain Memorial Flight's Lancaster.

Thanks for the background! Looking through my airshow pictures, I noticed that the port side is coded HW*R while the starboard side is coded is coded BQ*B. I suppose this represents two different original Lancasters? Do you know if the original PA474 used one of these codes during its wartime service?

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attachments

• DSC02631.jpg
    DSC02631.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 132
Hi Gnomey,

>Here is the full history of it: The Battle of Britain Memorial Flight

Thanks a lot for the link! Interesting to see that PA474 was served as a flight-test platform, too ...

Here is the bit on codes, but I have to say that I have no idea what it means:

"After major servicing at Air Atlantique in Coventry during the winter of 2006/07, PA474 wears the markings of EE139, the 'Phantom of the Ruhr', a ton-up Lancaster that flew her first 30 ops on No 100 Squadron based at Waltham before completing a further 91 ops on No 550 Squadron at North Killingholme. She sports the letters HR-W of 'The Ton' on her port side and BQ-B of 550 on her starboard, effectively commemorating the crews of both Squadrons."

What does "ton-up" stand for? I thought HR-W were the code of "Phantom of the Ruhr" ... is "The Ton" a different name/nose-art the original HR-W had during its service life?

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Ton-up means that the Lanc in question has flown 100 missions ("The Ton").

One side represents the Phantom of the Ruhr the other I think commemorates the rest of the Lancaster force (especially the ton-up Lancs and the City of Lincoln - it should all be in the text).

Hi Gnomey,

>Ton-up means that the Lanc in question has flown 100 missions ("The Ton").

Ah, finally I understand! So "The Ton" probably also refers to the mission count on the port side next to the "Phantom" nose art. I was confused by the linguistics of the term :) Is it an expression that was coined exclusively in (or, by the press, for) Bomber Command, or did see use in other contexts (sports?) as well?

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Back in 1982 to 1983, I spent two air show seasons, working with the BBMF, making an audio-visual presentation as an assignment from my then employers, Kodak Ltd. It was made as a multi-projector (35mm slides) show, with full soundtrack and commentary, that I also produced. I've still got the shots used in the show, and some of the 'spares', together with the script and the sound recording.It would be great if, when my PC is back on-line, I could post some of the pics, as there are internal shots of the aircraft, plus pics describing the servicing, care, schedules and displays. Some are air-to-air, from the BBMF Chipmunk, and the Lanc, and some good detail shots on the ground. The problem is, as they are on transparency stock, I'll need to get prints made first, then scan them and so on. Can't do it yet as I've got too many commitments at present. But, if you all think it would be interesting, I can put together some sort of package from the basic 160 final slides, which include Phantoms, which were still operational of course at Conningsby at the time. Unfortunately, the other 300 plus, and about another 1200 aircraft slides, were lost in a fire in 1992! What do you think?

Hey B-17, was that at the Reading WWII Weekend in 2002?

I was there!!

I don't really remember the Lanc - I couldn't get past the P-40 and the Hurricane close-up. I stood there almost all day , looking, smelling, listening.....

Well here's the best one of them all.......My dad and brothers and I meeting Paul Tibbits he ever signed his book for us which we have for $50...My mom was elsewhere :lol:

Attachments

• 100_0880.jpg
    100_0880.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 116
I think we took 76 thru Philly. One of the last trips I did with my dad. I was more concerned with him having a good time. There was too much to see (just like this year!)

Wish I saw the Lanc. I was hoping for the He 111 they said was to show up but it couldn't.

Great photos you've got there B-17!

A few years ago i had an experence very similar
For my fathers 50th birthday we bought him a 30min joyflight in a P-51 Mustang (Judy Pays one based at Tyabb for those familiar with it)

Anyway, after dad had his flight i jumped in the cockpit to try it out.

Having never beenin a WW2 plane before, you can imagine my amazment as the cockpt was basically the same as it was 60 yrs ago (apart from a GPS and modern radio) And yes, i did pull the trigger a few times!!

Somewhere i have a photo with me and the Mustang and another one of inside the actual cockpit. Will have to scan them and show them off... lol

Cheers
Simon

Users who are viewing this thread

Back