This is what got me to love WWII aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Just going back to the wounded/killed pilot, on Lancs and Halifaxes; the Flight Engineer's normally had enough basic training to fly the aircraft, at least straight and level, and some have been known (and Navigators) to bring the aircraft home and land it. If you've ever seen the movie 'The Dam Busters', it's even mentioned there, when 'Guy Gibson' tells his Flt. Engr. to get ready to pull him out of the seat if he's hit. (meaning on the run-in to the dam.) The line in the movie is based on fact, by the way, not just some movie-makers idea of adding drama.

That makes a sence. Many thanks!

This weekend in Millville is the Wings and Wheels show. Tell your parents you need to rest from the camping and go to an airshow! :) I'll be there.

about 4 hour drive.

Attachments

• nj.jpg
    nj.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 181
I was also there in Pennsylvania for the Lancaster fly in and also took the tour through her, I wouldn't have missed that for the world, the only one hear in the US flying -WOW !!!!!! I know she came down out of Canada, and am glad I made it there from Florida, wow a long trip too !
I've heard recently that the Lanc was having problems with the propellers and grounded until they were redonem hope she's back up soon !
Man it was AWSOME to see her crank up and taxi out and especially FLY, I was right under her wingtip when she fired up, nothing like the smell of av gas in the morning !

There was a Lancaster that used to fly in for an airshow near me for several years and I got a chance to check out the inside many times. I guess what struck me the most was the massive bomb bay - no wonder they could carry such a large bomb load! I believe the Lanc was named after a Canadian who had won the VC. There was a Hurricane that also flew with the Lanc from the same museum and if I remember correctly the Hurricane was destroyed in a hangar fire at the museum but they were able to save the Lanc!

PS Just took a look under Canadian Warplane Heritage and found that indeed their Lancaster is a memorial to PO Mynarski, an airgunner who was killed in 1944 while trying to save another crewman. The fire was in 1993 and the Hurricane was destroyed, they now have a fiberglass mockup of the original.

Last edited:
The sound of this Spit and its engine at the airshow in Værløse some years ago:

30.jpg

:thumbleft:

Add a long interest in WW2 plus a certain charming german pilot, and I was off googling the battle of Britain, and driving my local library nuts with requests for hard-to-get-books in english about JG 26, Adolf Galland, the battle of Britain and Bf-109's. :)

You are a woman after my own heart. I hear those sounds and the hair stands up on the back of my neck. Good on you, BB.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back