Time to make formations?

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by KenStuart, Jul 25, 2010.

1. KenStuart

KenStuart New Member

Hi,

Second research question: how long does it take a group of warbirds to get into a strike formation?

If a carrier launches a group of Avengers or Kates, how long does it take that group of planes to form up and head out on a strike? How does this time vary depending on the number of planes in the group?

For example, if three planes form up it might take them X minutes, but if 20 planes form up, it might take them Y minutes. I'm looking for real-world data that report X and Y with experienced pilots, and assuming good weather and no mishaps.

Thanks,
    -Ken

2. Njaco

Njaco The Pop-Tart Whisperer
    Staff Member Moderator

Animal Control Officer
    That really depends on the type of formation and amount of aircraft. I also would believe that at what point during the war you would refer to as during the course of the war, tactics changed as far as I know regarding formations - i.e. The RAF started with 3 plane 'Vic' formation and then switched to the Finger Four.

3. drgondog

drgondog Well-Known Member

Executive, Consulting
    Assuming optimal weather a land based 48 ship combat group (ETO 8th AF Fighters) with element (two ship) take off's took approximately 20-25 minutes to get everyone off the ground, assemble into lead flight and attach each of the other three flights, orbit as the second squadron lead flight assembles and assumes formation position on the lead squadron, then repeat the process for the third squadron - all while circling the airfield in a slow climb.