Time to make formations?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

KenStuart

Recruit
Jul 25, 2010
Hi,

Second research question: how long does it take a group of warbirds to get into a strike formation?

If a carrier launches a group of Avengers or Kates, how long does it take that group of planes to form up and head out on a strike? How does this time vary depending on the number of planes in the group?

For example, if three planes form up it might take them X minutes, but if 20 planes form up, it might take them Y minutes. I'm looking for real-world data that report X and Y with experienced pilots, and assuming good weather and no mishaps.

Thanks,
-Ken

That really depends on the type of formation and amount of aircraft. I also would believe that at what point during the war you would refer to as during the course of the war, tactics changed as far as I know regarding formations - i.e. The RAF started with 3 plane 'Vic' formation and then switched to the Finger Four.

Hi,

Second research question: how long does it take a group of warbirds to get into a strike formation?

If a carrier launches a group of Avengers or Kates, how long does it take that group of planes to form up and head out on a strike? How does this time vary depending on the number of planes in the group?

For example, if three planes form up it might take them X minutes, but if 20 planes form up, it might take them Y minutes. I'm looking for real-world data that report X and Y with experienced pilots, and assuming good weather and no mishaps.

Thanks,
-Ken

Assuming optimal weather a land based 48 ship combat group (ETO 8th AF Fighters) with element (two ship) take off's took approximately 20-25 minutes to get everyone off the ground, assemble into lead flight and attach each of the other three flights, orbit as the second squadron lead flight assembles and assumes formation position on the lead squadron, then repeat the process for the third squadron - all while circling the airfield in a slow climb.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back