Tomcat forever !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Corsairs were cooler --even funkier wing, you see -- as well as cheaper, and don't need a catapult for the Ford-class carrier. They could also carry a 20-mm cannon and rockets.

But you dont have AIM-54s

F4U could easily carry the weight of the AIM 54, so all you would need to do is adapt the radar and controller from the F-14.

Hope ARTESH ARTESH jumps in on this thread to provide perspective from the only foreign-nation user.

It was completely new and high tech, back then. It was a sign of good relationship between 2 countries, and a source of pride. We have done the thing that no one else was, is, or will be able to do that. We dictate our needs to no. 1 power of the world. What we need, not what they want to sell.

Nowadays, it's a broken doll. For many reasons that you, older people, know way better than me.

It's my understanding that the plane was the mount of several Iranian aces during their war with Iraq in the 80s. I think they still have five or six still operational?

Yes, it was. 16 pilots claimed to be "Ace" with at least 3 confirmed victories. If we add 2 and 1 victories pilots to the list, it would be around 28.

I really wish we had kept the tomcat it was a very good plane could still hold its own today. Shes fast and very armed carrying AIM-54s plus a cannon and a bombload if you need her to. There was no need for the F-18 anything it can do the tomcat can better LONG LIVE THE TOMCAT YOU WILL BE MISSED
Tomcat will be missed, as well as all other types of planes that are retired now, or even then. That's right.

But the wrong place is that "Tomcat", or any other machine, is not that great as you see them in movies, games, or papers. They have their own weaknesses.

Something else, Tomcat was not designed as a Fighter or Bomber, in first place. it means it lacks some of equipment / space that was needed for a dedicated plane.

As a nostalgia, I get and agree with you, but let's be realistic, the mighty Tomcat, is nothing more than a broken doll, these days.

I really wish we had kept the tomcat it was a very good plane could still hold its own today. Shes fast and very armed carrying AIM-54s plus a cannon and a bombload if you need her to. There was no need for the F-18 anything it can do the tomcat can better LONG LIVE THE TOMCAT YOU WILL BE MISSED

It was too expensive to maintain. It was an aging aircraft that was too difficult to keep flying. A good friend and co-worker of mine was an F-14 mechanic in the Navy in the mid 90s. He hated working on it. He said it was impossible to keep them fully mission capable and ready. Constantly breaking and inoperable.

The F-18 is a better strike aircraft, and can perform the job of the Tomcat much cheaper.

The 18 is nearing the end of its life as well, but that is why newer generation aircraft are coming online.

First, the latest bock F/A-18s are miles ahead of the F-14 in terms of combat capability, maintainability and operational costs. It WAS a great aircraft in it's day but the sun has set on the aircraft. Second, I worked with people who maintained them in their later years and these folks, airframers, powerplant folks and avionic guys (AKA "Trons") were relieved to see the F-14 go. Pull the Top Gun tape out of your VCR, the sequel comes out this summer!

Yeap, my friend was a 14 mechanic in the 90s. He has nothing good to say.

I would say you could put an F-14 in to any fight you put a hornet in and it would still win and do it faster than a hornet considering we have AIM-54s you dont

Speed is not everything. As FBJ pointed out the latest 18 coming off the assembly line are more capable even without the Pheonix, and they do it cheaper. The F-14 was a great plane, but it outlived its useful life.

It is very capable though besides as much as we spent buliding them might s well use them besides have you seen a better looking jet

Capable is irrelevant when your enemy can defeat it. All weapons systems were capable at one point, but surpassed by more capable systems. Such is the case of the Phoenix. If you don't develop better systems than you will soon be left behind by your enemies.

Looks are even more irrelevant. Looks only matter to model builders and message forum posters.

Of course they're dangerous. No one here has said the Tommy was a weak fighter. We've only pointed out why it was superseded.

I think both the F-22 and F-35 are ugly. But I'd be willing to bet they're good.

Blasphemous! The F-22 is a thing of beauty! I am in awe every morning I see her.

I agree on the F-35 though. Ugly little sister.

Look at this the B-52 have flown since the 60s and no one said replace it so if it can do it so can the tomcat

Apples to oranges. Two different types of weapons systems performing totally different roles. The B-52 has also been adapted to a different role now, primarily the delivery of cruise missiles from uncontested airspace. The days of the B-52 carpet bombing a modern enemy into the stone age has surpassed. Modern AA systems and smart weapon technology has ensured that.

I'm still amazed at the B-52 though, every time I see it. I was out at an AF base for work last week, saw a B-52 taking off and landing in the pattern. A strange thing of beauty. I love its landing gear system.

Saw a B-2 doing touch and goes too. Also a thing of beauty.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back