Top Coat Finishing Question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Vengeance

Airman
Jul 2, 2012
Melbourne
Hi Guys,
Just a quick question, I've got some MR Hobby Topcoat Semi gloss in a spray can, Ive finished the model, applied the decals, cleaned it up and Im about to top coat it using this can, now, will I need to cover the canopy or will this product go onto the canopy nicely.
I don't want to fog up the canopy when I apply the spray.
Should I have applied this spray before unmasking the canopy or before I put the decals on? Is this even a good product to be using?

Sorry for the basic questions, this is my first build for 15 years and the most detail I've attempted!

Any advice welcomed!
Thanks in advance!

Agreed.
The general 'rule' is to leave off all those parts which can safely be fitted once the model is all but finished. Apply a gloss coat for the decals, apply these, seal with another gloss coat, in order to provide an even, overall finish, and then apply the finish clear coat which, for most WW2 models, was either matt or semi-matt.
If it's possible to add clear parts such as canopies before painting, especially if the edges need to be blended into the fuselage to eliminate the joint, and mask them safely, then do so. Otherwise, fit these after the final clear coat.
Some modellers seem to be able to use a spray can without problem, but personally, I feel there isn't sufficient control over the spray pattern and pressure, more so on a smaller or medium-sized model.

Great advice guys, just a thought, it might be a valuable tool for someone experienced and confident in their own work to maybe come up with a running sheet type of thing for an average "out of the box" build. Perhaps a step by step, not instruction, but running order pdf or similar to help those trying to reach the dizzying heights of some of te fantastic work I see on this sight. I know the "start to finish" threads are helpful as a visual aid but quite often the miss steps or you don't get all the work done between the photos. Something that reveals what order works best (and everyone's different i know) but I think a tool like this would be helpful, particularly for when nearing a models completion

Only if someones got the spare time to create a running pdf tutorial of course.

Just a suggestion!
Cheers Guys!

A good suggestion Vengance but it might run into some snags as you say. You could give two people the same kit and the build sequences would be totally different. Some people start at Step#1 and others look at building sub assemblies, getting things built earlier than later. I myself am trying(and failing) to paint the clear parts first as that is the process I dread the most.

Geo

Yep, Fubar has it right.
If you look thru the GB progress threads you will se the General order is not the same from builder to builder. There is no Order as such.

I'm doing a 1/72nd Airfix Mustang for an IPMS group build. Started with bits of the cockpit, one side, then the other as the first set-up. Then the wings fitting, wheel wells, back to the cockpit for more detail. Filed a set of cylinders from sprue, it's Out Of the Box rules, for the gear door actuators. Stretch some sprue for the battery cables. Back to the cockpit with more stratched sprue for the oxy hose.

I never finish one thing before going on to another.

But you better cover all the clear parts. And light coats of spray, as many coats as you need to get the semi-gloss,,,, then STOP!

Just sayin.

I'm actually working on a sort of tutorial at the moment, although I'm only doing a little bit at a time, and it's going to be long job. Rather than a 'how to' guide, it's concentrating on the planning of a model, from research, buying the required kit, further research, and the actual planning of the build, through to the completed model.
This is where the actual build sequence is developed and arranged, as different kits may require different approaches, in order to either ease construction and painting, or to accommodate modifications, conversion, addition of scratch-built or after market parts and so on, or a combination of all of these.

Yeah, I know we all build differently, but it wouldn't need to be every step taken, that would require a massive effort with so much possible variation. Just the main steps that could then be broken down to more detail if need be.
What Airframes is working on sounds great and would be a great "tutorial asset" to be able to refer to in time of beginner doubt such as that which I suffer from frequently!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back