Trailer for "The Mighty Eighth"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

i can overlook hokie cgi if the flick has a decent storyline and the acting is above average. i may not pay to see it but will watch it at some point. i give cgi a little leeway hoping they get it right in the year to come.....i grew up watching movies with worse visual effects....rockets that flew and you could see the wires....trailing smoke that floated upwards. so anything is an improvement...lol

Like the scene in the late 60's version of Midway.

Charlton Heston in a carrier approach in a badly damaged SBD Dauntless, Then it shows a SB2C Helldiver rounding out below the ramp, and trying to climb up to it. Then it's cuts to a mid 50's Navy jet doing crash and burn on the ramp.

I'm sure the producers at the time thought 9 out of 10 people would never know the difference, modern producers aren't any worse.

It's just that they now have the technology to bring out something accurate, and realistic, but they're too lazy to take the time to get the details right.

You know, maybe it's not perfect, but I'll take just about any airplane movie right now (other than Red Tails). And with Hanks and Spielberg you know it will be at least pretty good. I'm hopeful they will tighten up the CGI.

Well, the movie "Flyboys" was entertaining: if one ignored all the red DR.Is and the incredible aerobatics that defied physics...and the half-hearted storyline...and the...wait, nevermind.

By the way, the producer of Flyboys said he wanted the dreideckers all red so the audience knew who the Germans were...

When I heard that during the interview (I was eating dinner at the time), I almost blew my dinner all over the coffee table.

You know, maybe it's not perfect, but I'll take just about any airplane movie right now (other than Red Tails). And with Hanks and Spielberg you know it will be at least pretty good. I'm hopeful they will tighten up the CGI.

I believe this is not the Hanks/Spielberg production. As I understand it, this is some kind of "example footage" for some other project, which may or may not get produced.

Inspired by true events, ooohhhhhh dear.

It states 65 planes???? I think in the shoot it looks like 200+? That's why 12 O'clock High will always be one of if not my favorite B17 movie real BIRDS in that movie.But to be honest the old Hasbro B-17 game has better graphics than that clip and that Hasbro game is from 1998!

Doesn't look half bad, actually. I have my doubts about the "B-17 sandwich", but I'm setting my outlook to Cautiously Optimistic.

Definite video game feel. Something I can overlook if the story is good and they don't get ridiculous.

That's my biggest beef with CGI. Not the game-like image quality, but the stupid action/stunts they put in films nowadays. It used to be, a stunt-man/stunt-driver/actor, actually had to perform the action seen. Not any more. While action films have always been ridiculous, they're now just plain absurd.

That said, CGI could be a great tool for aviation flicks, allowing the production to detail events that never could have been reenacted otherwise.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back