Train Pics

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Took these from the new station. The first picture is a bit blurry because that train was doing close to 70 mph The building in the background with the smokestack is the old Chicago-Northwestern headquarters building.

Attachments

• DSC02111.JPG
    75.3 KB · Views: 74
  • DSC02109.JPG
    79.4 KB · Views: 78
  • DSC02110.JPG
    74.9 KB · Views: 77
I grew up in SP country int he back woods of Oregon. I the late 60 and early 70s the mainline was about a mile behind the house and they would run a triple or quad head of 6 axles (SD35' normally but U boats and SD 40s would run sometimes) and then about half way through would be two to three helpers and a couple of pushers at the end. The earth would shake for about ten minuets as the train ran by. This was all lumber county and they hauled lumber products all up and down the area, box cars with plywood, log cars with logs, Gondolas willed with pulp wood. I would go to work with my dad and watch the box cars and flat cars get filled with the plywood produced and then the GP9's would move the cars in and out for fill up and pick up. I have love trains since. My Dad built a HO layout in the house and we would spend hours on it. I missed the steam era but it is the though of the great power of the Cab Forwards 4-8-8-2's pounding through the woods. The GN also ran the route but I don't ever recall seeing their motive power though I do recall their cars, Green and blue box cars and gondolas with the mountain goat on them. I have some photos at home of Great Northern articulate double heading a mile or more long train up the Cascades behind my house. I would have loved to watch that on a cold January day with all the snow piled up and the steam and smoke billowing up and out the stack. I guess I am a bit of a romantic.

Users who are viewing this thread