Trains!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Okay, here's the pics I took on Prague Main Railway Station (former Woodrow Wilson's Station). I'm not very much familiar with all the types of the trains so you have to decide what is what. The Czech Railway Co. is owned by the state and it's called ČD - České Dráhy.

Attachments

• tr0_168.jpg
    tr0_168.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 588
  • tr1_909.jpg
    tr1_909.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 601
  • tr2_258.jpg
    tr2_258.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 598
  • tr3_170.jpg
    tr3_170.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 584
  • tr4_883.jpg
    tr4_883.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 577
  • tr5_679.jpg
    tr5_679.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 576
  • tr6_150.jpg
    tr6_150.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 588
Good shots Pisis
That unusual to have 5 aspect colour light signals its not a common signalling configuration.
Funny you should have been talking about Bigboy the other day Eric there was a program on last night about the problems they had moving one to its new site along with the Challenger at Durham Western Heritage Museum, Omaha, NE the Diesel unit was a big enough problem but the BigBoys 300tons really made the tractor units grunt. One dolly just snapped in two like a rotton carrot.

Attachments

• 1_139.jpg
    1_139.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 567
evangilder said:
We have been chatting a bit about trains, so I thought I would start a thread for it. I am a big fan of the old steamers. So I will start this one off with the Union Pacific Big Boy. For your rail fans, this baby is HUGE. It's a 4-8-8-4.

So, you have an interest in trains? The Union Pacific Railroad is certainly a good one to have an interest in, especially with their "lust" for power. They've certainly built some powerful (and beautiful) locomotives. One UP locomotive I'm very interested in is the Gas Turbine. It was a "transitional" locomotive built during the transition from steam to diesel power. It was rated anywhere from 8,000 to 12,000 horsepower. It had an A unit which was diesel powered to move it around the yards. While they would burn most anything, the fuel of choice was bunker C fuel because it was cheap. They built one to burn coal as an experiment and I think it was the last coal-burning locomotive built in the U.S., around 1963.

Steam engines are very interesting, each is unique and they seem to be alive. I especially like the sound of a steam whistle. They carry for miles and to me make a really lonely sound.

The UP sure had some intersting locos. Another besides the Big Boy and Challenger is the DDA40X, the largest, most powerful diesel locomotive ever built, with two prime movers totalling 6600HP :shock:

UP6934Cajon2.jpg

centennial.gif

Here's a photo of a gas turbine. As I said earlier, the A unit is a 500 horsepower diesel locomotive and the B unit is the turbine. The fuel tender was needed because the turbine burned about 400 gallons of fuel per hour and the bunker C fuel wasn't found just anywhere on their rail system. I know the locomotive is rated at 8,500 horsepower, although some were rated higher (I think there were some experiments done to increase the power).

gasturbine.gif

Is there more then one still operating? As far as I know #3985 is the only one that still is, I could be wrong though.

JCS said:
The UP sure had some intersting locos. Another besides the Big Boy and Challenger is the DDA40X, the largest, most powerful diesel locomotive ever built, with two prime movers totalling 6600HP :shock:

centennial.gif

The Centennial is an impressive locomotive. I'll bet those 4 axle trucks can't be used just anywhere.

I'll bet those 4 axle trucks can't be used just anywhere.

Yea, I bet it'd shear the spikes right off if it was going fast enough around a tight enough turn with all that weight.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back