Trains!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lots of rules and regs then Wild.
My old boss emigrated to Australia for a chief executive job on I believe the New South Wales Railroad.
So you goner be doing approach controlled signalling, moving and permissive block working or have you covered it already ?

Nah I haven't covered that stuff yet Trackie, I've only been with the company for about 1 month. I'm starting off as a shunter so basically we've been learning about how to shunt, radio comms with the drivers, wagons, switchs, bogies all that kind of stuff. All the driving stuff like Codes of practices will come later.

QR you say Ev. There our main competition at the moment. Kinda ironic because I'm originally from Queensland. I'll will try and get some photos for you guys.

Dont get caught between the wagons WC if you do hump shunting I know a guy who got his bicep between the buffers because he failed to use a shunters pole flattened his arm thinner than a sheet of paper.
Do you fancy freight or Passenger work WC I know many commutor drivers get a bit bored with the short journeys and the split shift patterns they have to work but the intercity guys love it.

Yea - it's up by Tehachapi Ca. If anyone is into trains and are visiting Southern Ca - it's a site to see - Its a whole rout that makes a "360" inside a mountain. I used to fly over it on my way to Bakersfield. Look it up on the net - I'm sure you'll find infor on it.

trackend said:
Dont get caught between the wagons WC if you do hump shunting I know a guy who got his bicep between the buffers because he failed to use a shunters pole flattened his arm thinner than a sheet of paper.
Do you fancy freight or Passenger work WC I know many commutor drivers get a bit bored with the short journeys and the split shift patterns they have to work but the intercity guys love it.

Yes, ther've been drilling safety precautions into us since day one. It's a pretty unforgiving industry if you get it wrong.
As for freight or passenger work, as a shunter it will all be freight, but if and when I become a driver it will be both, as Pacific National provides the locos and drivers for "The Ghan" the "Indian Pacific" and the "Overland" But saying that we are primarily a freight company.
http://www.railaustralia.com.au

Some time in the next 2 weeks were going to be moving, the place were going to take is barely even a mile from the St. Lawrence Hudson (Canadian Pacific) tracks, I cant wait! Heres a few pictures of the area, the Nicholson viaduct is only about 6 miles up the road from the place. and the Nicholson Factoryville tunnel goes under a field a few hundred yards from the house! :D

http://www.northeast.railfan.net/scranton1.html

Pound to a penny JC you feel the trains in the tunnel when your in bed at night.
Im sure you'll get your drivers ticket WC no problem its just a case of studying traction power mechanics. and memorising rules , regs then learning your routes. The majority of guys I know pass without too much sweat.

Trackend said:
Pound to a penny JC you feel the trains in the tunnel when your in bed at night.

I wouldnt doubt it!

Heres a page with some history and pictures of the Nicholson Viaduct:

http://www.newyorkrailroads.com/nicholson/

I cant wait to see a string of Norfolk Southern C44-9Ws pulling a 120 car train of loaded coal hoppers over it! :D :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back