Trumpeter 1/32 BAC Lightning build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry about the poor pic. But knoked this up to demonstrate the gun port.

Cut a slot in a spray paint lid. Cut a tube to length and glued in lid. Tube was inserted at an angle so you could see all the hole at one and not at the other. Filed and sanded tube flush to surface.

Hope it helps.

Attachments

• gun.jpg
    gun.jpg
    4.2 KB · Views: 69
Sorry about the poor pic. But knoked this up to demonstrate the gun port.

Cut a slot in a spray paint lid. Cut a tube to length and glued in lid. Tube was inserted at an angle so you could see all the hole at one and not at the other. Filed and sanded tube flush to surface.

Hope it helps.

Thanks for the idea and it helped me with the idea of the slot and then i came up with an idea with the un-used gun port covers.

Heres whats been done today..........

Well guys been hard at again today though i've spent most of the time neatly removing the plastic from the optional gun port covers, as trumpeters are totally wrong :evil:

I've noticed today that the side panels which go on either side of the cockpit are a really tight fit and you can't really close the two halves of the fusalage together fully, so i'm not putting them in ! you can't even tell they arn't even there.

Tried to fill the gap which is inbetween the nose ring and the air ducting and is near impossible, so i'm going to make FOD guards front/rear :rolleyes:

lightning4005.gif

F1 Lightnings and early Lightning have a BLACK cockpit, unlike a MK 6 which has a grey cockpit, don't make this mistake if you ever build one !.

lightning4012.gif

lightning4015.gif

Trumpeters very poor attempt at making gun ports, i'd like to see which Lightning they modeled them on :mrgreen:

lightning4007.gif

Removing the scrap plastic out of the middle of the ports, careful they nearly snap in two when they are nearly the correct shape.

lightning4006.gif

A bit out of focus but you get the idea, flash not working :rolleyes:

lightning4009.gif

For the back of the port i searched high and low for a suitable sized round plastic part, then i spotted the spare missiles and measured them and would do the job nicely :shock: i just 'feathered' one end to make it sit at an angle to the port cover.

lightning4010.gif

Back of the cover :|

lightning4011.gif

On the edges of the port look a bit too thick so a skimmed a bit off the inside edge to make it look more acceptable.

lightning4016.gif

lightning4014.gif

lightning4013.gif

My gun ports ! NOW WHO'S THE DADDY 8)

Cheers bigZ

thanks for looking.

Nice work Ian, liked your gun ports.
Good video Jan, almost expected Patrick McGoohan to pop up and say 'I am not a number...."!

I cant say that I ever was a huge fan of EE Lightning, but I have to admit that it grows on you.....:oops: :lol: And no decent one in 1/48! :lol: :lol:

What do you mean no decent one 1/48 !! There is the airfix job and its a mint kit and the aftermarket stuff you can get is endless, heres one F6 i've just finished.....

li001.gif

li008.gif

I'll be putting some completed pictures of the bird later, this model isn't mine but for a guy who was on the production line building the real thing.

Anyway back to the beastie :evil: When i mentioned about not fitting the side panels in the cockpit area its these parts in the next picture i'm talking about, they just seem far to tight when you leave them on when it comes to fitting the fusalage half's together.

tttttt009.gif

Bin these two parts.

tttttt001.gif

tttttt002.gif

Cockpit showing only the upper housing of the cockpit fairing fitted.

tttttt004.gif

Only one side is glued at a section at a time, if you get my drift.

tttttt003.gif

When i glue big parts of the fusalage together, i do a bit at a time rather than trying to glue the whole lot at once, this makes a more secure bond and theres nothing worse than putting half's together only for later on they 'crack' in half due to the glue was nearly dry when you joined them up.

tttttt005.gif

On the instructions it shows you to glue the 'rail' to the missile ! DON'T this will only hinder you when painting the missiles, attach the rails to the side extensions.

tttttt008.gif

Don't attach the front wheel carriage until the model is nearly done you'll only end up breaking it off or damaging it.

tttttt006.gif

tttttt007.gif

Pilots seat nearly finished, i've used MB mk7 Phantom harness's :| yes i know the seat is a MK 4 or 5 but they only cost £3 and looks good. I made the back rest padding from a bit of milliput and two bits of plasticard to add more detail to the bottom of the seat, leg restrants are PE.

thanks again for checking more build.

ian.

Poor choice of words from me there Ian....:oops: Can't find the 1/48 Airfix to buy, is it OOP? Awesome work here mate!

I saw somewhere very recently, that the F6 is about to be re-released. Now that IS a good kit, as Ian will know. It's getting on to 15 years, maybe more, since the two kits were first released, and I could never get one, as they sold like hot cakes. Just shows what Airfix used to be able to do!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back