Trumpeter 1/32 BAC Lightning build

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well done Ian. Hopefully, it might do some good. Afterall, if they don't know, they won't have the opportunity of correcting things. Let's hope they have a look at the various errors etc, and do something about it. Personally, I think they'll be pleased to hear from you. They might not even know how much some of their kits retail for over here!

Hi Men/ Women and the young at heart :shock: I got Trumpeter's email address yesterday and i emailed them showing the faults of the decals aswell as the modifications i've done and having to do more mod's to a kit which should be perfect if they are to charge such a high price for a skimpy model which has no detail whats so ever !! I'm waiting to see if i get a reply :rolleyes:

lihhhh001.gif

Paid a bit of attention to the nose ring at this scale painting it silver is a big no NO, the foil is only that cheap sticky back alloy tape, does the job.

lihhhh002.gif

It took 11 attempts to get the foil on which took some doing and two whiskies :mrgreen:

lihhhh018.gif

Anyone guess what this is to be ???

lihhhh004.gif

I spotted a very good picture of the main wheels and i noticed that you could see a brake disc inside the wheel so i had to part the two sections and start modding the wheels to make them look as if there are brake disc's inside the wheels by opening up the vent holes and also cutting out a small section in one of the holes, I'll tell you lot ! it took some doing drilling out all those holes neatly.

lihhhh005.gif

To make it look like there are disc's inside the wheels i found two metal washers which where just the right size, i then painted the inside of the disc's black wit a polished edge as in the picture.

lihhhh006.gif

The completed wheels now back together and look loads better.

lihhhh007.gif

Just thought i'd take this picture to show the other side !!.

lihhhh008.gif

Front wheel made up and weathered, to me i still think its a major weak spot seeing as its all plastic.

lihhhh003.gif

First coat of white on the missiles :D Put your hands up in the air if you hate painting white :evil:

lihhhh010.gif

This is a major over scaling by Trumpeter ! What where they thinking its like having wooden telegraph poles on the Lightning LOL

lihhhh009.gif

Thin brass rod now added to look better.

lihhhh012.gif

Painted up nicely, this will be one of the last parts to be put on the model.

thanks for looking.

Well every Airfix 1/48th Lightning which i have made has always had these two parts to be fitted at the sides of the front wheel undercarriage, well can you guess it theres none for this Lightning so i had to make my own, yet again more scratchy building ! simple though.

lihhhh016.gif

Part numbers 140 and 142 are what you've got to make.

lihhhh011.gif

A simple Triangle shape is cut out simple you think not so ! Two edges are 'feathered' to form a kind of eliptical shape.

lihhhh013.gif

The other part fitted i made this up in two parts and also shaped oval, very fiddly i lost count how many times these two parts went 'ping'.

nnngfndfdfgf004.gif

This air intake is also missing from the kit, when i say missing i really mean its not supplied, i scratch built this duct to look as near damn it whats on a real lightning, its made from srap sprue.

lihhhh014.gif

lihhhh015.gif

Added more detail to the seat, eg' replaced the leg harnesses added extra's straps / wheel at top of the seat,pull ring look at my fist picture of my seat and you'll see the difference.

Many thanks to Terry aka 'Airframes' for getting me to make the seat like it should be.

Oh and the seat is not being glued into the cockpit, just so i can take it out once in a while and smile.

thanks again for looking

Tremendous work Ian!
The more I see, the more I wonder at Trumpeter releasing such a basic kit at such a high price!
Have to say though, you're doing a grand job on it, and the seat looks great now - glad I could help with a few details.

Looking good Ian.

Can't believe a £97 on a plastc kit. You could an ARFT RC ducted fan jet for less.

Looking good Ian.

Can't believe a £97 on a plastc kit. You could an ARFT RC ducted fan jet for less.

I know what you mean the wife still thinks its £40 :shock: hope she never finds out :evil:

Thanks guys/gals Makes all seem worthwhile when i get a few replies 8)

You'll be pleased to know that i'll be getting some new replacement decals in the next day or so and i've seen these new ones, theres no spelling mistakes whats so ever :p also put on the first coat of silver which know everyone hates doing, LOL !

Noticed that there are no detailing parts for under the canopy as there should be as in this real picture, shame on you Trumpy surely you could have spent a bit of time on the canopy.

nnngfndfdfgf005.gif

The front leg has been altered in that i've drilled out 6 holes in the arm, Trumpeter just made 'nipples' to represent this and looked scrap.

nnngfndfdfgf007.gif

nnngfndfdfgf008.gif

I've used Tamiya acrylic silver goes on a dream, i'll be doing a bit of a wash to high light all the detail.

nnngfndfdfgf010.gif

Painted the wheel doors only for the silver to highlight the sink marks on the covers which i didn't see before hand, might just fill them.

nnngfndfdfgf011.gif

The inside of all the wheel doors are painted in Humbrol 56 matt aluminium.

nnngfndfdfgf009.gif

The silver went on with no trouble at all, the part where it's still grey is the part i've left unpainted so i get a good bond when the time comes for gluing the wings on.

nnngfndfdfgf012.gif

Also spotted bad sink marks on the edges of the rear tail planes these i had to fill straight away :cry:

Thanks for laughing you modellers

I'll echo Lucky. You're doing a great job there Ian, should look very impressive when all together. BTW, will e-mail tomorrow with gen on the bowsers.

With all here.I like these correction you have made and using the alum foil for the air intake the most.Great !!! :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back