Truth is Stranger than Fiction

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Re the 'lost' nuclear weapon podcast.
A few years ago, an aquintance of mine (no names, you understand!) who deals in ex-military equipment, was inspecting a shipment of containers, one of which was supposed to have held radio equipment.Upon opening said container, he discovered three nuclear weapons, I believe of the air droppable kind! Having informed his contacts at the British Ministry of Defence disposal site, he was told that he must be mistaken, such a thing was impossible! Finding the manufacturers lable, he contacted them to tell them of his find with the same result. He eventually loaded one of the weapons' transit cases, with the 'bomb' inside, onto his trailer and took it to the manufacturer's premises to prove his story. He was eventually arrested and held for three days! Needless to say he eventually got some good deals on kit for keeping quiet! I am assured this story is true!!

Re my last on the nuclear weapons found in a container.
The guy involved normally deals in 'heavy' kit, such as tanks and aircraft. Some of this kit has been exported to various parts of the world, including the U.S.
When I was last at his site (somewhere in England!) he showed me the container in question. It still had 3 sets of suspension slings in place, which were designed to hold the weapons containers. This guy is a genuine fella, a sort of upper-class type, if you know what I mean?
I have no reason to disbelieve his story, as he once fired an anti-tank missile across his estate, and used to see how fast he could go down the runway, without lifting off, in the surplus Phantom he bought from the R.A.F. disposal sale when both FG1/FGR2's and F4J(UK) types were withdrawn from service.
I leave it to you all to decide; true or not (and I'm sure it is!), it's a good story!

Me thinks Gumby is spanking the pony

Attachments

• 10392gumby_284.gif
    10392gumby_284.gif
    54.9 KB · Views: 136
The guy involved normally deals in 'heavy' kit, such as tanks and aircraft. Some of this kit has been exported to various parts of the world, including the U.S.
When I was last at his site (somewhere in England!) he showed me the container in question. It still had 3 sets of suspension slings in place, which were designed to hold the weapons containers. This guy is a genuine fella, a sort of upper-class type, if you know what I mean?
I have no reason to disbelieve his story, as he once fired an anti-tank missile across his estate, and used to see how fast he could go down the runway, without lifting off, in the surplus Phantom he bought from the R.A.F. disposal sale when both FG1/FGR2's and F4J(UK) types were withdrawn from service.
I leave it to you all to decide; true or not (and I'm sure it is!), it's a good story!

bullshit.jpg

bullshit.gif

I not only disbelieve the story - I dont frigging WANT to believe the story!!!

:shock: :confused2:

Elite agents sent to protect French president François Hollande at the Rio Earth summit forgot to pack their guns, it emerged today.

In scenes reminiscent of the bumbling Inspector Clouseau of the Pink Panther films, highly trained members of the GSPR (Security Group of the Presidency of the Republic) thought they had placed their weapons in secure suitcases. They hadn't.

So unless they managed to borrow weapons from the Brazilians — the country has a serious gun crime issue — the agents wearing sunglasses and earpieces around Mr Hollande would have had fake guns in their shoulder holsters.

An officer told the French investigative weekly Le Canard Enchaîné: "As far as anyone can remember, this was the first time this has happened."

The agent responsible for the fiasco was sacked.

Russia has purchased a French built Assult Amphibious Landing ship. The first has been delivered and Russia have just identified a small but very significant problem. Russia doesn't have the correct fuel and cannot use it. Apparently Russain diesel fuel is different to that used in the rest of the world and will cause damage to the ships engines.
Russia can of course modify the fuel so it works but that means they have all the problems of producing, storing and supplying fuel for a couple of ships.

This news was announced by the Deputy Prime Minister Dmitry Rogozin on Tuesday so we can take it that its right.

I read a tale of how a USN pilot got the job of flying an AD and testing the "over-the-shoulder" bomb lobbing technique developed by the USAF for the B-47. He roared over the target at max speed, pulled up into a loop, and released the "bomb" when going straight up. Completing his "Immelman" and speeding back the way he came, he glanced in his mirror and was somewhat distressed to see the pickle falling straight down not far from his tailfeathers! The "Spad" was a tad bit slow for playing with nukes, apparently....

I read a tale of how a USN pilot got the job of flying an AD and testing the "over-the-shoulder" bomb lobbing technique developed by the USAF for the B-47. He roared over the target at max speed, pulled up into a loop, and released the "bomb" when going straight up. Completing his "Immelman" and speeding back the way he came, he glanced in his mirror and was somewhat distressed to see the pickle falling straight down not far from his tailfeathers! The "Spad" was a tad bit slow for playing with nukes, apparently....

If he released the bomb when going straight up, then it was his fault, not the aircraft.
In the over-the-shoulder technique it was released when past vertical, if it was a bomb toss, it was released before vertical. If it was released while going straight up, the bomb too would go straight up till gravity stopped it, while it's moving slow, any wind would have a great influence on where the bomb went.
But the Navy ADs were taught the nuke delivery methods too, during the early days of the cold war. I would think they'd have a computer release the bomb like all the other aircraft though, not just depend on the pilot's instinct for bomb release.

I believe his point was, at the "tremendous speed" the Spad was capable of, he would have still been inside the fireball when the bomb went off. Or...shortly there after.......

The idea for releasing the bomb after you was past vertical was to shot the bomb high in the air AND in the direction you were origionally headed, while you completed a loop and went the opposite direction the bomb was going. If you released it at vertical you'd just get the height, and hang time, but no additional distance.
But for a AD, depending on the nuke's size, it probably was a one way mission.
A lot of men, of that era, had their doubts that there'd be anything to come home to anyway.

But for a AD, depending on the nuke's size, it probably was a one way mission.
A lot of men, of that era, had their doubts that there'd be anything to come home to anyway.

My dad (Vulcan crew in the 50's 60's and Canberras before it) used to say they expected to fly to range or to fly beyond return range then head south hopefully to bale out over somewhere completely undeveloped but reasonably friendly, find a comfortable woman and spend the rest of whatever life there was to be had farming hunting eaking out an existance.

Mind you in those days the notion of nuclear winter hadn't arisen yet, but they fully expected 'the developed world' to be utterly gone (including all the developed neutral countries.....the reasoning being why would the superpowers go down so totally catastrophically allow Brazil - or whoever - to rise be the next?......perhaps this explains some of the huge degree of 'overkill' both superpowers maintained at the time?).

A grim world view if ever there was.

Makes you wonder what kind of crazies were running the world at the time, doesn't it? 'Course, maybe now they are just better at hiding what they are up to!
Just reading about the "chicken bombs" the Brits and Yanks buried all over Europe so they could blow up advancing Commies by remote control. The chickens were to keep the mechanisms from freezing up in the winter for a few weeks until the bad guys got close enough to the nukes. Really!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back