U.S.S. Recruit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
USS Recruit

It was the first of its kind -- not quite 'building, not quite a ship. USS Recruit (TDE-1 and TFFG-1) the Navy's first non-ship, was originally a commissioned vessel and observed traditional Naval shipboard procedures like all other vessels. Any Sailor who ever served duty on board this haze gray ship awash in concrete, fondly remembers his first 'request permission to come aboard.

Affectionately known as USS Neversail, the Recruit was a two-thirds scale mock-up and served as a Sea Daddy to new recruits. When completed in 1949, it was 225 long, had a 24-foot, four inch beam and a 41-foot mast.

During construction, Sailors in NTC's seamanship division supervised the rigging with standard Navy fittings obtained from salvage and mothballed ships. The Recruit was commissioned Rear Adm. Wilder D. Baker, commandant, Eleventh Naval District, on July 27, 1'949. A commission pennant was broken and the ensign and Union Jack was hoisted.

It served as a school for all recruits going through basic seamanship indoctrination. The ship's deck was an exact replica of what a Sailor could expect in the fleet. The Recruit had cleats, chocks nd mooring lines and operated as any standard Navy ship. Sailors learned rnarlinspike seamanship, ground tackle operation, cargo booms, deck fittings, lift boat handling and signal equipment.

Attachments

• landship.jpg
    landship.jpg
    179.3 KB · Views: 114
OK, lads..... Now Hear This !!!

For the benefit of you land-lubbers, the Union Jack is flown from all commissioned US Naval vessels, from the bow,
while in port at a pier, at anchor in a harbor, or sitting in a drydock. When the vessel gets underway, the Union Jack
is hauled down, and the U.S. national flag is hoisted from the fantail. The Union Jack is pictured below.

The USS Recruit was decommissioned in March 1967 due to the inability to classify the ship in a computerized registry of Navy vessels, but she continued to be used as a training facility until the base was closed in 1997. Recommissioned in 1982, Recruit was refurbished to look like a Oliver Hazard Perry class frigate. The Recruit still stands, currently unused, with the hope that she will someday become a maritime museum. She is now surrounded by a retail development at the foot of Halsey Road and can be seen from North Harbor Drive in San Diego, CA.

There was also a real, seagoing ship, USS Recruit (AM-285), an Admirable-class minesweeper built for the U.S. Navy during World War II. Her keel was laid down by the
General Engineering Dry Dock Co. of Alameda, California, 24 May 1943, and she was commissioned 8 November 1944. She saw action in the Pacific and was awarded
3 battle stars. She was decommissioned and placed in reserve in 1946, and was sold to the Mexican Navy in 1963.

Charles

Attachments

• 120px-US Union Jack.png
    120px-US Union Jack.png
    357 bytes · Views: 86
Last edited:
The first photo is of the USS RECRUIT as I remember it in 1961. It was on the NTC Naval Training Center base. The second is as it is now from the Harbor Fwy from google maps. It was overhauled and remodeled in 1982 as the website I found has it. The photo posted looks as if it was built in the Broadway Plaza downtown S.D. maybe. I am thinking some additional research has to be made to pinpoint its location and just what it is. cheers, Bill

Attachments

• 2415462097_2dd03966c3.jpg
    2415462097_2dd03966c3.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 61
  • neversail.jpg
    neversail.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 60
I just did some searching and found this website, San Diego's "Concrete Frigate" USS RECRUIT Celebrates 60th Anniversary | Sea Classics | Find Articles at BNET which I took this paragraph from.

Actually, this faux ship was the third USS Recruit in US Naval history. The first was another land-locked replica, built to look like the battleship USS Maine and set up in Manhattan's Union Square during World War I (see Sea Classics, December 2009). It was used to lure some 25,000 men and women into the miHtary. During its 3-yr life, its deck was also used to stage several war bond drives, a presentation of Gilbert and Sullivan's HMS Pinafore, as well as a 1918 boxing match. The second USS Recruit (AM-285) was an honestto-goodness oceangoing minesweeper that saw battle during WWII, and was finally decommissioned in 1962.

San Diego's USS Recruit was one of three such training ships built after the WWII. The two others -USS Bluejacket in Orlando, and the USS Marlinespike in Great Lakes, Illinois - eventually were dismantled, but fortunately, USS Recruit was recently designated a California Registered Historical Landmark.

cheers Bill AXAN HS-4, 1961-1964

Thanks Bill. The pic I posted stated it was from 1917 but I couldn't find any more info except the ship built later. So the pic matches the history although the story I posted is the later ship.

Rightyoh Njaco. You gotta admit That's a pretty impressive downtown sculpture. I had never heard of it till you posted it. Kinda like driving thru Holbrook, and all of a sudden there's a bloody submarine in the park. "Now How did That get there"? I asked my wife. Can you imagine towing it behind your Holden Ute? Bill

Attachments

• holbrook sub.JPG
    holbrook sub.JPG
    48.8 KB · Views: 47
The USS Bluejacket was still on NTC Orlando when I went through boot. It wasn't being used back in '92, but it was always there, watching, as we marched and drilled and PT'd.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back