Unofficial Group Build: BEAUFIGHTER!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Well guys, I scored a Tamiya Beaufighter on ebay today, so I'm getting psyched for this one. I've think I've picked my entry too, as a chance meeting at the local Museum turn up several new/old photos just in of this machine. Multiple photos from several different angles. No decals available, but what a great subject.

Time Gentlemen Please. A19-27 and coded "H". Nick name "PANDEMONIUM"

Photo Source: AWM

KIRIWINA, NEW GUINEA, 1943-06. SQUADRON LEADER W. BOULTON (PILOT), OF MANLY, NSW, AND FLYING OFFICER K. MCCARTHY (NAVIGATOR), OF MELBOURNE, VIC, WITH THEIR NO 30 (LR/F) SQUADRON, RAAF, BEAUFIGHTER NAMED PANDEMONIUM OR TIME GENTLEMEN PLEASE. (PHOTOGRAPHER N. BROWN)

Attachments

• 015121.jpg
    015121.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 217
Looking great Peter. Are you going to make the nose art decal by your hand?

Yep, I will need to do the art work, and print the decals. The aircraft has the name "PANDEMONIUM" on the starboard side in plain white lettering, so I should be able to sort that out easy enough.

I think I might just be able to do the artwork by photo shoping the photo, and colourizing.

where can you get decal paper from that i could make my own transfers from,also count me in for the build guys i still have yet another airfix 1/72nd beau in the stash that i'm yet to build

Bob, the decal paper is offered by almost all LHSs as clear decal sheets. So , all you need to do is to paint or print markings on a such sheet. And voila...
The only problem is the white colour because most of home using printers aren't able to print the colour having RGB and black inc cartridges.

Bob, I get mine direct from the paper company, at around a quarter or half the price, for the same stuff, I'd pay at a model shop. the company I use is UK-based, and will sell individual sheets as well as packs, in both clear and white. You just need to order for the appropriate printer - inkjet or laser. The company is Crafty Computer Papers, easily found on the 'net.
Note, you need to let the decal sheet dry for around fifteen minutes after printing, then spray with a gloss acrylic varnish. Note also,apart from being unable to print white, some colours, on the clear decal film, are not very dense once applied, due to the lack of density in printer inks. However, they are fine when printed onto white decal paper.

thanks chaps i will do a search and then give it a try,my printer is a hp c8180 all in one,hopefully that will be able to do the job

Had a look in my Beaufighter book....

Attachments

• DSC_0120.jpg
    DSC_0120.jpg
    883.6 KB · Views: 223
  • DSC_0121.jpg
    DSC_0121.jpg
    848.1 KB · Views: 222
  • DSC_0123.jpg
    DSC_0123.jpg
    867.4 KB · Views: 235
Cool stuff guys!

Karl, that would be great, thanks!

Bob, great to have you in on this! Got spare RAF Beau markings if you need some btw.

Peter, good choice mate, great nose art :cool: great score with the beau too.

Jan, great info mate! No doubt Eagle Strike or somebody will do a set of markings for atleast one of squadrons.

And Terry and Wojtek, great info re the printing. Must learn to do that myself...

This should be a great build guys! :D

Choices, choices.....

No. 39 Squadron, Grottaglie, 10-11/43.
No. 252 Squadron, Heraklion, 4-6/41.
No. 272 Squadron, Foggia, 44/45, not sure about dates yet....

Just pick up one of them Jan and stop thinking about alternatives. Unless these wear skirts :lol:

i'm ready to go thanks Evan as i will do a straight from the box airfix beau with maybe a few extra odds and ends if i can manage them,i have posted now your beau bits this morning so expect a parcel soon i don't know how long it takes to arrive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back