US Navy....WTF?!?!

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

evangilder

"Shooter"
Sep 17, 2004
Moorpark, CA
www.vg-photo.com
I have been on several e-mail threads about the 100th anniversary of Naval Aviation things going on in early 2011. But it is looking a lot like the Navy has done a fine job pissing off a lot of vets of naval aviation.

Take a look at the link below and see this timeline that they have set up to show "significant events" is US Navy aviation. Hardly a mention about the Korean War and Vietnam, yet the Assault on Grenada is a significant event?!?! Blue Angels transition to the F-18?!?!? What about the Blue Angels transitioning from prop aircraft to jets?

See what they consider significant events, and look at some BIG holes in there. Nothing happened between 1952 and 1962? Toko-Ri isn't mentioned at all, yet recovery of Apollo spacecraft is?
100th Anniversary of Naval Aviation | The History of Naval Aviation

There are several mentions of "First woman" to do this or that, or first African American to do that, while names like McCampbell, Foss, Halsey and others don't even get a mention.

I am completely disappointed in the US Navy.

PC Navy. Who knows where that's gonna end. I guess you only have to be better than the other guy.

Maybe they can pull it off.

Whatever happens, I know several Navy pilot veterans who are sitting out all of the festivities over this. Some guys with plenty of money to donate for various things involved have torn up their checks over this as well. It's definitely not sitting well with many Navy vets.

My letter to the site;

Gentlemen;

Fist off I hope I'm not offending anyone by using a masculine introduction in this letter. When I went to school is was customary. Anyway I first want to introduce myself - Joe Morales, former AD2 with VP-65 serving in the US Naval Reserve from 1996 - 2002. I have always been proud of my duty and although I don't consider my career "extraordinary," I was proud to serve, wear the uniform and be part of the tradition of the US Navy.

I recently came across your site and started looking at your "timeline." I must ask; did you folks have a "political correctness" counselor submit this trash or did you hire someone who never served in the US Navy put this presentation together?!?!? While I have nothing against in highlighting the accomplishments of women and minorities in our armed forces, I don't understand your rationale in "significant events" for US Navy aviation. Hardly a mention about the Korean War and Vietnam, yet the Assault on Grenada is a significant event?!?! Blue Angels transition to the F-18?!?!? What about the Blue Angels transitioning from prop aircraft to jets?

I can't believe what you consider significant events, but you leave BIG holes in this timeline. Nothing happened between 1952 and 1962? Toko-Ri, the USS Forrestal or would speed records set by Naval Aviators isn't mentioned at all, yet recovery of Apollo spacecraft is?

There are several mentions of "First woman" to do this or that, or first African American to do that, while names like McCampbell, Foss, Halsey and others don't even get a mention. What has gone wrong here?!?! Either someone has an agenda here or knows NOTHING about the US Navy, our history and traditions.

I am completely disappointed is seeing this trash associated with such a significant event in US Naval Aviation history and I want you folks to know that this letter is probably the first of many you're going to receive over this. This would have been an event I would have liked to have participated in, but based on this webpage, I think I'm going to sit this one out or at least wait for an event that will "get it right" and leave political correctivness and agendas on the backburner. I am completely dis gusted with what I see here and equally dis gusted that the US Navy is supporting this trash.

Sincerely;

Joe Morales
Littleton, CO

Last edited:
Flyboy, I'll send one too if you think they'll care what an army guy thinks. leaving Vietnam out is inexcusable

This is what I sent.

Subject
"The questionable History of Naval Aviation"

100th Anniversary of Naval Aviation | The History of Naval Aviation (link)

Wm J. Davidson
588 07 54
USN '61-'64

I invite you, and the bozo who wrote, and the bozo who supervised the writing and compilation of "significant events of the U.S.Navy timeline.

Korean WAR, or an insignificant "conflict"? Has everyone forgotten about Guy Bordelon? Google his name!

Viet Nam War, or an insignificant "conflict". Did HS-4 lose an aircrew in vain? Each and every loss counted, or has the Navy and all it's departments lost sight of those that fought and died for the freedom we enjoy today?

Very disappointed,
Bill

1951 - 1962 is blank.

Battle of Coral Sea is listed but not Midway?

Something seriously wrong with site.

What idiot is in charge of thier history?

I see that this is a non-profit organization that supposedly supports USN, USMC and USCG aviation, but they sure lack key historical points.

Like the big deal about the Blue Angels making thier transition to F-18 Hornets...so? Where's the mention that Adm. Nimitz authorized the flight demonstration team and it's official formation in '46?

How about the Blue Angel's transition from props (F8F) to jets (F9F)? Wouldn't that be kind of significant?

And they mentioned the battle of Coral Sea, but did they mention Swede Vejtasa's feat of downing 3 Zeros...with his Dauntless? Tell me if that's not a remarkable event!

And the list goes on...

If these people want to be "historians" for the Navy, then perhaps they should study it a little?

Errmmm.....where's USS Enterprise CVN-65?
Having a relative and a best friends (in Sweden) uncle, who also served in the USN, Korea and WWII, I'm hugely disappointed as well! :(

Yeah, true that...if they got any more PC, they'd omit any mention of battles at all, and focus on "warm and fuzzy" milestones, like "On this day in 1978, the Officers mess at NWS Seal Beach recieved attractive new carpeting and light fixtures"...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back