Use of Future and finishing

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

copcheck

Airman 1st Class
Mar 25, 2011
Clinton Township, MI
I've read the write up on Future but am still unclear of all of it's uses.

Currently I am dipping my canopies and letting them dry, but I believe I've read that people are using it to add a finishing coat to models.

I am using Micro Set/Sol for decals and would like to know whether I should Future before or after the decal phase.

In addtion I would like to know if it's safe to dust off older models and apply a coat of Future.

Lastly, if I use a dullcoat should I avoid Future?

My apologies for the many questions, I am trying to elevate my modeling skills and would like to move on to weathering soon.

Thank you,

Jon

Edit: Almost forgot to ask about the preferred method of applying Future, airbrush or brush. If I airbrush, is there any certain way I should clean my airbrush when done?

Last edited:
Copcheck, I think if I'm not mistaken that most of the folks here use the Future in between paint and decals. It gives the decals a smooth surface to adhere to. And it should be ok to use the dullcoat over the Future. Hope this helps.

I apply Future before decals and then also after. Decal set solutions don't affect it, as long as you give the Future coat a good 24 to 48 hours cure.

I see no reason you can't apply Future to old models but suggest you give them a good cleaning.

Dullcoats can be applied at the end over Future.

I agree with Andy. the Future can be applied by brush or airbrush, with the former giving a better 'gloss' per coat. However, be aware that this stuff is very thin, and will find its own level and pool and run easily, so needs laying off properly. Any drips, pools etc can be absorbed with the edge of a piece of tissue.
To ensure an evenly-toned finish, the entire model should receive a coat, before and after decals. The finishing coat can be done using Future mixed with Tamiya Flat Base, to achieve anywhere from gloss (no Flat Base), through semi-gloss, semi-matt to full matt, depending on the amount of Flat Base added. (Experiment and test to find desired result.)
If air-brushing, ensure that the airbrush, and especially the jet nozzle and needle, are thoroughly cleaned immediately after use, using an ammonia-based cleaner (I believe some window cleaning products work) or iso-alcohol, and then flush through with plenty of water.
You may find that the tip/jet may need cleaning, during use, to prevent a build-up of the waxy deposit which, if left, will dry very hard and glue everything solid! Use a paint brush dipped in water to do this as you work, if required.

Like the other guys, I use Future after paint and before decals. I don't use an additional coat over decals and before dull coat because at 1/72, I didn't want to fill in the panel lines too much. After 48 hrs of cure on the decals, I dull coat with a water based flat. I spray future as is with no thinning and clean the airbrush with windex.

Agreed, I used to just put decals on flat paints and they looked terrible, even with microsol. I do not put a second coat of future over the decals, my second coat is a 50/50 mix of future and flat clear. I personally found that flat clear is too dull even for a military model a bit of future satins it.

THANK YOU for that post! It appears I accidently spilled Future on the kitchen counter and after the episode of the airbrush and the curtains, one more mishap and I was going to be banned from the kithcen!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back