USS Yorktown (CV-5) v. HMS Illustrious v. Soryu? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

After reading about the quality of the Japanese carriers, and the supremacy of the US designs; there can be only one conclusion.

The Yorktown Class was the best.

The IJN Soryu was built for speed, basically a fast carrier and it paid the price at Midway. It was basically a firetrap. I think alot of the safety features that the allied carriers had to dispell fumes and protect the aviation fuel, the IJN Soryu lacked.

The HMS Illustrious was an armored carrier, so that greatly reduced the amount of aircraft it could carry( up to 52). The armored deck may not make up for its strike capability. But it was a great design.

CV-5 USS Yorktown could carry up to 90 aircraft using three elevators and three catapults. That makes it the superior strike carrier of the three. It also had more range then the Illustrious as well as speed but not as fast as the Soryu.

I'm gonna have to go with the Yorktown class. Wooden flight decks aren't the safest compared to armored ones, but between the additional aircraft and great DC teams, that should make up for it.

The soryu had the greater speed, but lack the defense and DC quality of the other two. Illustrious, did not have many planes, but it's armored deck offered greater protection. The Yorktown had the larger number of aircraft, and while the flight deck was wooden, it had better protection and DC teams then the Soryu. Overall, I have to say the Yorktown.

If I was on a destroyer or a non-carrier on a carrier task force, I'd want to have a Yorktown defending me. If I was on the carrier itself, I'd want to be on the Illustrious due to the armored deck. A kamikaze hit that would put an American carrier out of action indefinitely would only put a British carrier out of action for an hour.

If I was on a destroyer or a non-carrier on a carrier task force, I'd want to have a Yorktown defending me. If I was on the carrier itself, I'd want to be on the Illustrious due to the armored deck. A kamikaze hit that would put an American carrier out of action indefinitely would only put a British carrier out of action for an hour.

But you end up needing two RN carriers to provide the striking power of one US carriers.

The USN was proven to be correct in its assessment that the primary purpose of an aircraft carrier is to carry airplanes. The RN showed that armored flight decks are quite a usefull design characteristic, but it cant be at the expense of AC capacity.

Interesting enough the Midway Class of US Carriers were inspired by British Carriers Conways All the Worlds Fighting Ships 1922-1946 so kinda the best of both worlds. I had to go with the Yorktowns as well.

But you end up needing two RN carriers to provide the striking power of one US carriers.

The USN was proven to be correct in its assessment that the primary purpose of an aircraft carrier is to carry airplanes. The RN showed that armored flight decks are quite a usefull design characteristic, but it cant be at the expense of AC capacity.

Apologies, I wasn't very clear.

What I meant was, I would want a Yorktown as it's more capable, but the RN vessels were safer for crews. So I'd go with the Yorktown.

If I can recall Catch, when the RN came into the Pacific in '45, a few kamikazes hit their flight decks with little or moderate damage, compared to a US carrier. However, the Yorktown class's capability to launch more planes is the better choice, on a strategical level.

If I can recall Catch, when the RN came into the Pacific in '45, a few kamikazes hit their flight decks with little or moderate damage, compared to a US carrier. However, the Yorktown class's capability to launch more planes is the better choice, on a strategical level.

Strategic and defensive level.

One of the British flat tops that was hit by a kamikaze had her armored box warped out of shape so badly that the RN deemed her unrepairable and she was scrapped soon after the war. True she continued flight ops to the end but could barely make 24 knots. I can't remember which carrier it was, nor can I remember which book I read it in.

USS Franklin suffered severe damage off the coast of Japan from a conventional attack, but was repaired. This probably has to do with economics, and the resource and cash strapped RN probably thought it more expediant to do away with her.

True. You read Shattered Sword right? I'm starting it right now( have two or three other books I'm working on too.) Is it true that the IJN had more carriers, but the US had more planes?

True. You read Shattered Sword right? I'm starting it right now( have two or three other books I'm working on too.) Is it true that the IJN had more carriers, but the US had more planes?

Brilliant book. Once you start reading, you wont be able to put it down.

And yes, the three US carriers had as many AC as the four IJN carriers. Plus they had AC from Midway to help.

Aircraft count is overpowering thus the Yorktown would always be the selection. Even though the wooden decks were vunerable, the Yorktown class carriers were tough nuts and didn't die easily.
(I am sure DC is also a key)

Hornet

5 bombs
2 torpedoes
Val crashing on deck
9 US scuttling torpedoes
4 24" Japanese torpedoes
sank

Yorktown

Coral Sea
1 bomb
Midway