'Videos of the Day' an ongoing thread

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Here are some clips showing them starting up the F4U - not as easy as it might seem, here you will see flames emerging from its huge radial engine being beaten out by a ground staff chappie's t-shirt! It provoked the arrival of the museum's fire brigade. No doubt they were bored.

It was not easy to film, one had to be patient, lots of false starts etc. So I split it into three or more.

Attachments

• _dvcr040_858.wmv
    2 MB · Views: 103
  • _dvcr041_316.wmv
    6.7 MB · Views: 81
  • _dvcr041_145.wmv
    6.7 MB · Views: 99
Bloody brilliant Roy, I remember the series but not that episode i must have been on nights that week.
It really shows the battle between the boffins that raged on through out the war. I have never seen the colour RAF footage before that Mossie night fighter sound recording is classic.
Thanks for the reminder Roy i may well send off for the series Im sure it must be about on Net.

Great clip guys even though its large its well worth downloading.

that Corsair reminds me of Flight of the Pheonix when Jimmy Stewart stuggles with the Kaufmann starter to get the old bird fired up
Actualy Roy Im back to Duxford on the 16th to catch the last air show of the year so Ill have another shot at getting some video hopefully with more success.(weather permiting)

You may not be able to find the Secret War on Amazon etc. As I said it is one of those doc series that has kind of been forgotten - there is a great book on which it is based (or vice-versa) around too BTW. I bought it on EBay a while back for about a tenner (quid) but I saw one go last week for double that...
So I might bung up some other clips from it... great footage of the Gigant getting aloft etc. rockets ablaze and 110s wobbling about.

As regards Duxford me being a cheapskate I went the day before the actual show - that's how I got footage of the Spits etc arriving.

Here's the next two in the sequence.

And two bigger better res files to complete it... as the bent wing bird gets airborne. As before Divx is zipped and needs Divx player to view... worth it...

Attachments

• _dvcr043_162.wmv
    2 MB · Views: 85
  • _dvcr044_163.wmv
    9.3 MB · Views: 68
  • _dvcr047_433.mpg
    6.6 MB · Views: 73
  • _dvcr046_165.zip
    8.9 MB · Views: 57
We return to the working warbird hangar with shots of the Sea Fury in Iraqi AF markings, F86, Spitfires in states of undress etc.

Will pop up a higher res one in due course.

Attachments

• duxford-sea-fury-hangar_143.wmv
    7.3 MB · Views: 60
We've seen various Spitfires soming in for the show now here is a taxi and take off for the resident two-seater.

Attachments

• duxford-spitfire-2seater-take-off_126.wmv
    9.4 MB · Views: 62
Machines and men behind the LW and RAF WW2 jets... Galland, Whittle, Hooker et al.

Then in second clip we segue into daylight bombing (not sure of the relevance of this tho).

Attachments

• secretwar-jets_136.wmv
    7.7 MB · Views: 99
  • secretwar-jets2_214.wmv
    8.5 MB · Views: 91
Another great clip Roy.
Typical British a total of 25 people working with Frank Whittle on the Jet project (could of had a Jet fight yonks earlier with a bit more backing) no wonder he shoved off to the States in the end and assisted their jet development he must have been totally pissed off with the pen pushers lack of forsight.
I always like to hear old Garland a very knowledgable bloke.

I concur about Whittle. The man succeeded against the bureaucrats... I read his biog and it is a classic demo of how determined you have to be. He was not only a genius technically but also a very strong-willed man. It should not have to be like this. Luckily the Germans were beset by their own problems at the same time. One wonders what the outcome would have been if the Meteor and Me 262 had met in a dogfight. My money's on the latter if all other things were equal.
Britain is its own worst enemy - radar, computers, hovercraft, motorbikes, jet engines and jet airliners etc., you name it we let others have the market.
I live not far from Bletchley Park and used to work for Plessey. So I know firsthand how the bureuacrats can screw you up.

Interesting stuff, Roy. The F4U looks like it was a classic exhaust stack fire. They happen fairly frequently with the older radial engines. Typically, the marshall will have the pilot keep cranking and the stack fire will go out as the exhaust blows out the unburned fuel. Three words...Too much prime!

I like the way the groundcrew chap puts it out with his t-shirt - true dedication!

Another classic example of being in the right place at the right time with a working camera!

More from that series showing the infamous Komet then some chat from the jocks who were up against the next gen fighters, Galland and Speer too.

Attachments

• secretwar-jets3_501.wmv
    8.9 MB · Views: 96
Here we see the Arado Blitz Bomber - nice snowy shots - too much chat from Uncle Albert and then under the closing credits, a Gigant getting towed aloft.

Attachments

• secretwar-jets4_318.wmv
    9.4 MB · Views: 75
Duxford Superhangar tour - we get to see the Anson and Sunderland plus other great British planes.

A highlight is a lingering look at the Gannet with its wings folded. Plus a good look at the underside of Concorde replete with armament such as a LW glide bomb (!), the Lysander, the Lanc, Brittania, Dove etc.

All in all about 5 mins worth of choice footage methinks.

More to come from my wanderings in next week's exciting programming.

Attachments

• iwm-duxford-superhangar1_182.wmv
    13 MB · Views: 50
VC10, Heinkel?, Spits, Tiger Moth... a wander outside and a glimpse of what could be an He111... thrn on to a close up shufty at the TM you can have a ride in methinks.

Attachments

• iwm-duxford-vc10-moth-spits_106.wmv
    6.5 MB · Views: 41

Users who are viewing this thread

Back