„Volksjäger“ (people fighter) Heinkel He 162 in 1:32 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ahoy Bernd
A hardy well done sir, looking very sharp I be watching this with entrest my wife is a Diebetic and takes two shots in the ash can a day she usually gives me a few syringes they sure come in handy with liquid glues and thinned down water base adhesives too. Keep up the work looking superb.

Boats

Thanks gentlemen!

I really do appreciate your comments and i am fine as long as you find it entertaining.

My referenc He 162

Thanks so much!

The front landing gear:

The front landing gear will be shown without its covering cone so much detailing is necessary. This can't be done with the kit parts alone.. They are designed for a closed nose cone and are sufficient for this purpose. If you compare the given parts with the real thing many flaws show up. The only part I used was the wheel fork slightly thinned out. I tried to make the gear moveable around a metallic axe to better check out the size of the needed parts. The bigger parts hydraulic system and shock strut should be moveable too. I don't want to do gimmicks but I want to build a functional gear to produce a realistic result. The flexibility is only needed during the assembly phase later in the completed model it is dispensable. The plate of the kit where the undercarriage should be cemented on was sanded flat, see picture. Than I cemented 2 mm thick plastic sheet on it and trimmed it to the contour of the fuselage. So you get a clean fit and much filling and sanding can be omitted.

33k8vu9.jpg

Next came the plate which bears the undercarriage.
The kits pivot point of the undercarriage is wrong I had to define a new one. A new undercarriage leg had to be made and combined with tube through which I ran a hollow needle, the new pivot axle.

In the kit the axle runs through the wooden block this is nonsense. I did my connection according to the real thing. The axle mounted into this wooden block would have been prone to breakage. I believe the block was a counterbalance.
Now the gear strut could be placed into its adapters and the axle. By trimming the new brackets I found the right turning point. Next part were the hydraulics after probing the fit I could fix it to the axle.

kapvns.jpg

The spring leg keeps up tension on the undercarriage leg when retracted. The kit part shows both parts retracted contrary to assembly instructions for a lowered gear. I discarded the spring leg of the kit. After getting the correct size and bearing I made a volute spring from wire wrapped around a hollow needle.

33optzc.jpg

The front weights are scratched. The left and the right part are different.

2i28zsl.jpg

The locking device for the undercarriage could be handled by a Bowden cable.
It will be added when the complete front under carriage is mounted to the fuselage. The guide for the Bowden cable is already installed. Into this device the bolt which is situated on the rear of the under carriage leg snapped in. The small coil is from a guitar string.

vd20k5.jpg

In this rig the undercarriage snaps in when it is lowered pushing the red bolt out in front of the cockpit as a visual control for the pilot. This mechanism is preloaded by a coil.

vyaaah.jpg

All parts are ready for final assembly. The front wheel will be readied with the main wheels.

2zspmow.jpg

The gear leg is assembled.

pu2ox.jpg

Some Steps of assembly:

2i8kaz5.jpg

s1ux6e.gif

Some pictures of the final assembly:
I didn't much weathering as The "Volksjäger" hadn't time enough to get filthy during its short career.

qrbviq.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back