„Volksjäger“ (people fighter) Heinkel He 162 in 1:32 scale

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

what you can learn by seeing your work is amazing thanks for sharing

Some more detail pics:

33xvd5g.jpg

1zf4gts.jpg

still more:

15dxnwk.jpg

The completed gear is a little bit moveable after assembly. The hydraulics move and the coil is compressed some what.

m7rkok.jpg

The nose cone:
I want to show the nose cone removed from the fuselage. So some detailing is necessary. The nose gear will be fully visible so all the effort with it makes sense.
At first I thinned the edges and opened the four holes for the hand grips. Through this holes the maintenance men screwed the cone onto the fuselage. After mounting the cone the holes were closed by caps.

21dqz2x.jpg

The mounting rig through which the fixing bolts are running.

2z6ec8y.jpg

After fitting the rig I added some details from plastic sheet.

34t7v3p.jpg

314ox7n.jpg

I thought at first it was a 1/12 or 1/24 scale, such detail. I've a feeling its a build your enjoying.

I found some real good pics of a He 162 which was restored in France recently. The pics show the plane with its tail separated. I wanted to display my plane in the same way.
The elevators and rudders should be bended. All were cut out, padded with strips, sanded filled with putty, sanded again and so on. The fins got grooves after being padded with strips too. This was a lot of work to do I was glad when it was finished.

9u20oy.gif

The finished parts:

2n9xag3.jpg

The visible front side of the separate tail cone was detailed after the French pics. Again I used plastic sheet and assorted strips. Especially the bulkhead and the mechanism of the trimming device were done.

2lq0rn.jpg

After checking the correct fit I thinned the trailing edges on upper and lower wing.
Flaps and ailerons got the same treatment as fins, rudder and elevators. Filling with strip and putty, sanding, more putty and so on. The ailerons are fixed with metal rod.

The completed parts are primed. They will be painted in camouflage colors together with the rest of the plane

14vpuhd.jpg

Wings and fuselage end:

When I did the wings I found some puzzles in the Revell parts.
First I cut out the flaps and ailerons and discovered some measurement discrepancies between the upper and lower sides of the wings. I consulted some drawings and there it was. The flaps were mounted in an oval groove in the wings so that the upper edge reaches further back than the lower one. This is correct for the flaps but not for the ailerons as Revell did. Again plastic sheet saved the day.

x3bi35.jpg

After checking the correct fit I thinned the trailing edges on upper and lower wing.
Flaps and ailerons got the same treatment as fins, rudder and elevators. Filling with strip and putty, sanding, more putty and so on. The ailerons are fixed with metal rod.

296epw9.jpg

The pushing rods of the ailerons are made out of plastic profiles:

316nf6b.jpg

The oval bracing plates of the wings had to be corrected too. Because their shape is false. There is evidence of angular ones in literature but I decided to follow the ones of the French restoration project. I erased the kit plates and built new parts out of plastic sheet.

zmci35.jpg

After cementing the fuselage halves together after puttying and sanding I could detail the visible part of the fuselage end.
The upper part is too short and had to be elongated. The holes for the bolts to fix the empennage have to be drilled out yet.

118dpua.jpg

The visible part of the rear bulk head detailed with strip:

33k9b3a.jpg

The connecting rods for the empennage are only provisional fixed for the picture. This are the counterparts of the empennage.

2wofw21.jpg

Your work is a pleasure to behold Bernd!

I have a question. How do you cut your small plastic card bits and make them so clean? I find that even with a sharp blade, some of the plastic gets "pushed" away from the cut leaving a ridge that needs to be sanded down. Do you have a special method to tackle this? Or do you sand everything and, if so, how do you hold such small parts?

thanks you so much.

I use normal tool. to the cut I'm taking a scalpel or a shave blade. small parts remain as long as until they are finished carved on the plastic. so you can better hold. .......and always sanding and sanding .......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back