Were you ever in the Armed Forces

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

lesofprimus said:
Hey Rafe, try joining the Coast Guard, or as us Navy Pukes call em, Pond Pussies.......

They may actually take u into consideration.... I know a guy who was denied by the Army for hearing impairment, but the Coast Guard accepted him... He works in the engine spaces....... LOUD PLACE!

Are you really into airplanes to the point you might choose aircraft maintenance? Try CG aviation. You won't be heavy duty combat aircraft but you'll work on everything from helicopters to exec jets. A great place to get aviation experience after a CG career. (Aviation Machinist Mate, "AD" - They Rule! ;))

Sorry Les ;) :lol:

While its all funny and what not, i lost most of my hearing from my service in the United States Navy...... Explosives and Gunfire to Rupturing my Eardrums at 70 feet..... Plus all the damn Rock Shows I've seen since 1979....

My right ear is worse than my left.... U know that beeping that a wrist watch makes when the alarm goes off?? I cant hear it AT ALL with my right ear LOL....... I've lost 75% in the right and 45% in the left...... Im close to the hearing aid gimmick for my right ear I think...

Gettin old sucks ass.....

lesofprimus said:
While its all funny and what not, i lost most of my hearing from my service in the United States Navy...... Explosives and Gunfire to Rupturing my Eardrums at 70 feet..... Plus all the damn Rock Shows I've seen since 1979....

My right ear is worse than my left.... U know that beeping that a wrist watch makes when the alarm goes off?? I cant hear it AT ALL with my right ear LOL....... I've lost 75% in the right and 45% in the left...... Im close to the hearing aid gimmick for my right ear I think...

Gettin old sucks ass.....

I know what you mean, sorry for the deaf crack - actually my hearing is pretty f*cked up- Jet engines for 20 years does wonders!

Mine is okay, for now despite some loss. Between jet noise, C-130s and the usual gun and explosive noises, I got quite a drop in hearing. Couple that with about 10 years of playing gigs in loud clubs and it is truly amazing I can hear anything at all.

I can still hear okay, but if I get in a crowded room or a place with lots of background noise, I can't hear normal conversation.

My hearing isn't good and it happens to be due to the inaction of a RAF doctor. I had an infection and he didn't deal with it, so I've had 6 operations and 12 years of going to the hospital at 3 or 6 month intervals (depending on how close after the operation)...I stopped going last year, my doctor said I was alright but I've lost hearing in my left ear...it's quite bad actually. I can have a conversation alright...it stopped me getting in the Royal Navy...I was applying as Aircraft articifer...

And...yeah...best news of my life when I was informed I never had to go back to hospital...and that's my story for the day.

I had a grommet put in my first operation. Ear hole widened and mastoid taken out in 2nd. More mastoid removed from left in third, and some taken from the right to put in the left. Something to do with those three bones in my left on the 4th. Investigating a spot on the 5th. Re-sticting my ear after stitches failed, on 6th.

A week after my 5th operation, I had come home and I awoke one morning to the alert of my dad telling me I had a massive hole in the side of my head. I had blood on my pillow but, that's normal after ear operations. But having a hole half an inch wide and about an inch or so deep going into your head, isn't. You could see the inside of my ear...so, I rushed to the hospital and they SENT ME HOME! Saying it was fine, and it'd heal...stupid Junior doctor....and I had to clean it...but anyway...went back for a regular check up and my proper consultant (same one for the 12 years) threw a fit and ripped the junior to pieces...and rushed me into the operation room...that day. Can't fault the NHS me...I say rush, I went in at 11am...and was being operated on by 8pm...

You'd think so but it didn't hurt one bit. Not even a tingling, it just felt normal. It'd come open in my sleep, I probably wouldn't have known until someone pointed it out.

Im getting mutton myself.
Its getting a bit dodgy when I go for my compulsory medicals, much worse and Ill loose my post and have to look for some other employment. (the bins aint much better either Im a bleeding wreck)
most of my hearing loss comes from trains pounding past my earoles for the last 30 years.

I once considering joining the Coast Guard when I get out of the Army. I like the whole flying search and rescue missions in shitty weather over the ocean. I have since decided though not to, but rather get a civilian job working on aircraft when I get out.

the lancaster kicks ass said:
wow i never knew that about you........
Now you know, m8.

I lost both of my hearing before I turn 8, the infection just got worst on that time.

lesofprimus said:
Hey Rafe, try joining the Coast Guard, or as us Navy Pukes call em, Pond Pussies.......
I never have talked to Coast Guard recruiter (I have talked to National Guard before, they say no) yet, but the bad news that I have been talk the US Navy twice and they still say no to me for joining because my hearing (I had surgery on my right ear where Cochlear Implants is inside and i tell ya, I'm nearly better than any people with their normal hearing).

They may actually take u into consideration.... I know a guy who was denied by the Army for hearing impairment, but the Coast Guard accepted him... He works in the engine spaces....... LOUD PLACE!
Really? So, the US Army did not want him, but the CG accepted him?

I'm surprise because I have heard alot rumors before that FEW of Hearing Impaired actually got in the National Guard, Coast Guard, and Air Force (UNSURE) and I have been facing USMC, US Army, US Navy, and National Guard, but they still kept saying NO.

DerAdlerIstGelandet said:
I once considering joining the Coast Guard when I get out of the Army. I like the whole flying search and rescue missions in s**t weather over the ocean. I have since decided though not to, but rather get a civilian job working on aircraft when I get out.
I have a freind who for many years was a safety/crash investigator for the CAA when I said to him that I would like to be a propulsion engineer he said the burnout rate working on the service line was very high an not many last very many years so the long term prospects didnt look too good as far as I was concerned.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back