The day we went to the gas chamber was the same day we were to crawl the infiltration course. It was hot and humid( we were having global warming) everyone's fatigues were soaking wet( we looked like we had been swimming) On a 5 mile march from the rifle range a few weeks before we had had 38 men out of around 180 pass out from heat exhaustion, they were following us with ambulances and deuce and 1/2s and picking them up and throwing them in the back. It was hilly and when someone passed out you could hear them hit the pavement and then hear their steel pot roll down to the bottom of the hill. Anyway, after going through the gas chamber my squad along with an lt from the cadre were marching along toward the infiltration course and a jeep drove up with a bird colonel in it and he said"get these men in the shade" I thought,"thank you God" and found some trees. A trainee had died from heat stroke so we waited until night before we crawled the infiltration course. I had lived in Texas all my life, mostly before air conditioning, had been through 2 a days in San Antonio and Kingsville many times and I was never as hot as I was at Fort Knox.