Westland Lysander and Blenheim found

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by v2, Sep 13, 2007.

1. v2

v2 Well-Known Member

2. Micdrow

Micdrow “Archive”
    Staff Member Moderator

Manufacture Tech
    Pretty cool, I wonder if it would be worth bringins some of that stuff up to use as patterns for static and flyable aircraft.

3. schweboo

schweboo New Member

More on the link to my site shown above...While diving on SS Thistlegorm (WWII freighter sunk in 1941 in the Red Sea) I "discovered" Westland Lysander and Blenheim light bomber parts, parts of a Bristol Mercury engine and several RAF Trolley accumulators. More photographs of these finds, together with photographs of examples at Duxford can be found at:

Sharm El Sheikh - Egypt

As far as I can tell, these spares have not previously been identified - even though the Thistlegorm is one of the world's top ten dive sites.

I confirmed these identifications with the help of ARCO engineers (Duxford) and research staff at RAF Hendon.

Best regards

Chris
    [​IMG]

4. schweboo

schweboo New Member

Since my last posting, I have been back to the Thistlegorm and found that there are more aviation related finds. This time I confirmed that the wreck also has two PUNDIT LIGHTS (including the generator/control trailers) and have added more photographs of the aircraft parts (including the PUNDIT lights) to the site. I also counted around 20 Blenhein exhaust rings and many more trolley accumulators.

Sharm El Sheikh - Egypt

I am trying to track down a Pundit light - to get some better photographs of the interior - and would be grateful for any information or where I could find one....

Best regards

Chris