What Annoyed You Today? (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

The poor folks directly below her are way worse off, we are kinda kitty corner and one floor down. But the lady directly above me that shares a wall with the hoarder, she is a sweet nice "church lady" as they say down here, she was furious! She said some of the little buggers tried to join her in bed! She was the very picture of outraged!

Utility (electricity) company that just don't care. After 8 months and what amounts now to 2000 € they 'don't know whether the paper of interest went to the municipality offices', nor they don't know 'whether the answer to that paper ever came from those offices'. All in all, looks like another month of waiting for the electricity mains to cross the 6 ft road and another 10 ft to our new house.

Ouch! I have heard that things we take for granted in the States, such as rapid power/phone/utility hookups are not a given in most of Europe. That truly sucks! Hope the situation resolves correctly quickly!

Contrary to the electrical company, the water supply company was fast - within two months I've had all permits and water was connected. Problem with the two utility companies is that they're state-owned monopolists - nobody ever lost the job at either for not doing the job on reasonable time table. Thus, if one is lucky, or know a person or two there, will had it's mains attached to the property in no time. If one has bad luck, and don't know someone who works there, should be armed with patience.

Ouch! I have heard that things we take for granted in the States, such as rapid power/phone/utility hookups are not a given in most of Europe. That truly sucks! Hope the situation resolves correctly quickly!

I think that applies to Eastern Europe, but no so much in Western Europe. I lived much of my life in Germany for instance, and the power, phone and utility were just as fast installed and hooked up as here in the United States. No slower at least. I had to wait a week and half for instance to get my internet hook up here in Louisiana. The longest it ever took me in Germany was about the same.

Now in Eastern Europe, you are quite possibly correct.

I think that applies to Eastern Europe, but no so much in Western Europe. I lived much of my life in Germany for instance, and the power, phone and utility were just as fast installed and hooked up as here in the United States. No slower at least. I had to wait a week and half for instance to get my internet hook up here in Louisiana. The longest it ever took me in Germany was about the same.

Now in Eastern Europe, you are quite possibly correct.

My wife's sister lives in Stuttgart. Her words for the utility companies reflect your wiev. Or, my uncle's friend that lives in Munich saying the same.

Germany that may be true. However I have family in France that will tell you outside of Paris it is a long wait for services. Especially if it is new construction. But even getting phone or internet service to a house that previously had it can take more than a month at times. And my ex-wifes family living in Portugal say the experience there is considerably worse. So it is not by any means limited to Eastern Europe. Indeed a buddy that works in Prague says service there is fast and comparable to the US.

Germany is far ahead of most of Europe in terms of service and quality of service.

You'll find that most things in North West Europe are a little more organised then the rest of Europe. Don't know why, but it seems to be true. In Scandinavia and the low countries it's at least as good as in Germany. I believe in the UK as well, but they don't belong to Europe anymore do they ;) :lol:

I know Terry . Ah, probably you'll get a new government soon which will all put that brexit stuff in the bin and we're back at zero again.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back